Hit shows from abroad that never took off in uk

None of the US chat shows have ever done that well when airing in the UK- I suppose it’s more of a curiosity rather than something Brits would seek out. I don’t think the Tonight show with Jay Leno was ever shown (apart from C4 screening the famous Hugh Grant interview). But the Late Show with David Letterman was screened on Sky/ITV2/ITV4/Diva TV (can barely remember that channel). His week of UK specials in the mid-1990s were recorded at LWT but shown on BBC2 I think.

The NBC shows have been shown at weekends on CNBC for years. I don’t suspect James Corden or SNL get stellar ratings on whichever Sky channel they’re on (even when Corden does his show from London).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pips2022's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

I'm pretty sure I recall FTN showing Jay Leno for a while.

As you say CNBC used to show both Leno and Conan O'Brien (when he was on NBC), last time I checked though they now only show Seth Meyers and not Jimmy Fallon.

Sky don't broadcast Corden as far as I know, they only put his show on VOD, apart from when he does his shows from London when they're then broadcast on Sky One/Max.

However Sky Comedy do (or used to anyway) broadcast Saturday Night Live.

TruTV tried making a big thing of showing Conan (his TBS show) a few years ago but as per usual it drifted later into the nightly schedule, until it bizarrely made its way onto TCM at the time of 1 or 2am I think.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(26-09-2022, 02:21 PM)Keith Wrote:  Apparently most British still people speak in upper-class, or with East London accents.
God, British accents in American TV shows and films are terrible, and I've never met anyone who sounds anything like it. Everyone either talks like the queen or a Dickens sterotype. Even when played by British actors they still seem to put on those awful accents.

I guess you have to give Jane Leeves a bit of credit for making Daphne on Frasier a Mancunian rather than being the usual "posh or cockney", even if the voice she uses sounds nothing like someone actually from Manchester. And the accents of Daphne's family... they each have a totally different one!

Not that long ago I heard an American referring to people from Yorkshire as being "cockneys"... apparently to them, British people are either posh or a cockney... I've had more than one American ask me what part of London I'm from as well...

(24-09-2022, 06:25 PM)LaDeDa Wrote:  Pushing daisies ... the USA comedy drama.
Itv got the rights and advertised it so much, giving it a primetime Saturday night slot but it never got people interested and ratings kept low throughout its run.
They also skipped an episode in the first run, only airing it in an ITV2 repeat run after the second and final season had aired.

(26-09-2022, 10:38 AM)James2001 Wrote:  For example, I can't find any evidence that The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriet and Make Room For Daddy, the first 2 US sitcoms to hit the 10 year mark (the former ran for 14- still the longest running sitcom on US TV, the latter for 11)

That's no longer true in terms of number of seasons, as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is now at 15 seasons. And even then, you have to caveat that with "live-action" because The Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad all come above that.

I'd say until recently, Adult Swim shows never really got their due on British TV. Its only recently, due to Channel 4 acquring the rights to show Adult Swim programming, that they're getting an audience, due to being easier to access. A lot of the stuff that was shown in the early days of Adult Swim, like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, only really appeared on Bravo and FX Late at night, and never really made an impact.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(27-09-2022, 11:39 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  
(26-09-2022, 10:38 AM)James2001 Wrote:  For example, I can't find any evidence that The Adventures of Ozzy and Harriet and Make Room For Daddy, the first 2 US sitcoms to hit the 10 year mark (the former ran for 14- still the longest running sitcom on US TV, the latter for 11)

That's no longer true in terms of number of seasons, as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is now at 15 seasons. And even then, you have to caveat that with "live-action" because The Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad all come above that.

Still true in terms of episodes though, in live action terms. Sunny doesn't have that many episodes each season, some seasons of Ozzie and Harriet had as many as 39 episodes.

(27-09-2022, 01:11 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I'd say until recently, Adult Swim shows never really got their due on British TV. Its only recently, due to Channel 4 acquring the rights to show Adult Swim programming, that they're getting an audience, due to being easier to access. A lot of the stuff that was shown in the early days of Adult Swim, like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, only really appeared on Bravo and FX Late at night, and never really made an impact.

I would say that Rick and Morty is probably the exception to the rule, and is the only Adult Swim programme that actually gets shown at a normal time on E4. But it’s also fair to say its popularity here is more down to Netflix than Channel 4. I believe TruTV ran Adult Swim for a short while also.

The Amazing Race

I remember a smaller UK series was shown late night on ITV or channel 4 but it never latest or had the overseas version shown in the UK

Another one I can think of is The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis- Maynard G. Krebs gets referenced a lot in US media- in fact Shaggy from Scooby Doo was based on him (in fact, the main 4 Scooby characters were based on the main 4 characters from that show- contuining Hanna-Barbera's trend of ripping off sitcoms for their cartoons). And just like Gilligan- it's Bob Denver again, maybe our broadcasters had a thing against him Wink

As far as I can tell, the only time it was shown in the UK was a single episode as part of a BBC2 theme night in the early 90s.