BBC/STV Scotland News

(26-02-2024, 10:08 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Is there not a fundamental problem with using a double lavalier mic to provide both primary and backup audio, in that if there’s a problem with one connection, such as damage, accidentally being unplugged, or not plugged in in the first place, the same issue is highly likely to affect the other?
Yes two mics isn't much good if there's not two of everything, right back to the sound desk.

The most likely thing to go wrong is the transmitter pack - have the batteries failed, has the presenter turned it off to have a wee?.....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Spencer

I still can’t get over how unnecessarily large the Scotland studio is, it looks like an aircraft hangar. It really needs a couple of the standard soft chairs and a small table near the tower (or something else) to help fill the space a little.
[-] The following 3 users Like AaronTV's post:
  • Bungo Bill, James, Superman1986

From the end of that YouTube clip, with the screens in darkness, it looks like the set completely 'crashed'. Wonder if the fact he's still talking when they opt back and cut back to the studio briefly means he lost all comms including talkback.

[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • thePineapple

When they cut back from the VT, he gives the microphone a wiggle - which suggests he knew there was something up. I suspect he was just chatting to someone in the studio or gallery when they cut back to him.

Odd situation on STV news tonight. Only John Mckay was presenting from the Glasgow Studio. He did say if your missing kelly ann she will be back on Monday.

(01-03-2024, 07:28 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Odd situation on STV news tonight. Only John Mckay was presenting from the Glasgow Studio. He did say if your missing kelly ann she will be back on Monday.

It was the same last night as well.

Sad news. Nick Sheridan has died.

x.com 

That’s really sad - such a young age. He was a distinctive voice on BBC Scotland on TV and radio, clearly a promising career ahead of him. Thoughts with his family and all who knew him.
[-] The following 2 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • bkman1990, MLehon

I read from the STV News website that he died from an aneurysm while he went out for a run on Wednesday.

I never met Nick Sheridan off screen. However he was a great presenter on screen. The only recent on screen presence that I did see of him was presenting some election & entertainment news coverage on BBC Scotland way back in 2021/22.

I would have watched him on RTÉ's News2day sometimes when he was on it from 2014 to 2017.

My condolences to his family and all who knew him.
[-] The following 4 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • Bungo Bill, London Lite, MLehon, UTVLifer

How Laura Goodwin managed to get through that link announcing his death on The Nine this evening is remarkable.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • cando, harshy