BBC/ITV Midlands News

(06-01-2024, 12:05 AM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Plus, those imageson Twitter/X above are dreadful with so much interference and Moire effect, something which is difficult to hide in most broadcasts, never mind which angle is used.

Well they aren't going to be perfect, they're taken on a phone at a funny angle... I was talking more about the colours and washed out effect being less taken on other cameras - somewhere between lighting and racking there will be a fix - but I don't think it's a simple case of the lights bleeding onto the screens washing them out - I think it's a blend of two issues, the flesh tones don't look right either even in the more shadowed areas of the set.

It may be the tungsten lights they're still using too - they have a blend of tungsten and LED and some appear to be angled towards the set rather than the talent in front of the set - obviously the lights do get moved for the Politics Midlands filming, I sometimes feel like they forget to put them back. It doesn't look great though, you are right there but they've always had lighting problems for some reason...

In 2012 when they got their first new set after moving to the Mailbox, it started the day looking fairly decently lit:
tvlive.site 
Web Image

and by 1830 it looked like this:
tvlive.site 
Web Image

(Credit: TV-Live)

Have you considered emailing them and pointing it out to them if it bothers you that much?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike's post:
  • Juicy Joe, Superman1986

(06-01-2024, 12:13 AM)Mike Wrote:  Have you considered emailing them and pointing it out to them if it bothers you that much?

It doesn't grind my gears to that extent - it's just slightly annoying and I'm pointing it out as I'm interested in these kinds of obvious TV errors & making conversation on the forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • interestednovice

I guess it's more noticeable now that most regions have an identical set. Any variation in lighting or how one set looks stands out more when you can see 6 other examples of the same space.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Phil's post:
  • interestednovice

(07-01-2024, 05:49 PM)Phil Wrote:  I guess it's more noticeable now that most regions have an identical set. Any variation in lighting or how one set looks stands out more when you can see 6 other examples of the same space.

Oh totally, and what makes me think it's more than simply the lighting is this
twitter.com 

The grey panelling on the studio set are actually on the screens and not real, the Birmingham studio they look dirty grey and washed out whereas the others don't. Might just be that since they upgraded the studio cameras they haven't racked them correctly (and to be honest if an IGS Gallery is inbound why would they necessarily bother for the sake of aesthetics) - or they've been done by someone using a dodgy reference monitor.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike's post:
  • interestednovice, Phil

Wesley Smith marking the 35th anniversary today of the launch of Central News South from Abingdon.

The disastrous first edition has been available to watch on YouTube for years, but he’s “X’ed” a look at the following edition later that evening following News at Ten which was tech problem free.

x.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like RDJ's post:
  • interestednovice, Kendal87, lookoutwales, TVHead

Does Leeds and Birmingham have similar setups because the issues identified here seem to be in Leeds as well.

(09-01-2024, 05:21 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Wesley Smith marking the 35th anniversary today of the launch of Central News South from Abingdon.

The disastrous first edition has been available to watch on YouTube for years, but he’s “X’ed” a look at the following edition later that evening following News at Ten which was tech problem free.

The following day's 6pm edition saw them get Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards back in as a studio guest for the second night running.

Think I read somewhere that Central were so embarrassed by the first programme that they refused to let it be shown on blooper shows - somewhat ironic that it finally appeared on their own 20th anniversary documentary years later.

There was an opt into Central West the previous Friday, as well, showing an extended launch / behind-the-scenes feature, which has also been available to watch to years.

Then there was this occasion just before Christmas 2000 when a power cut in Abingdon just before on-air time led to some problems (and a spot of ad-hoc Christmas card reading)

tvark.org 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • TVHead

Geoff Maskell was on tonight’s BBC East Midlands Today doing the weather, he was previously at BBC Newsline in Northern Ireland

Another bit of classic Wesley - adding a touch of friendly IVC, as only he could, to an overnight shift in the Central newsroom in December 1987.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Kendal87, Superman1986

I can’t believe it’s 15 years since he lost his main anchor status. I always thought we would see again regain it eventually.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kendal87's post:
  • lookoutwales