BBC/ITV Midlands News

The temporary set looks pretty substantially built. I wonder if it might be moved on to another region afterwards for their set change.
[-] The following 3 users Like Phil's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, Superman1986

Octopus Energy’s weather sponsorship for ITV News Central returned last night

(31-10-2022, 08:46 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(30-10-2022, 11:31 PM)Mike Wrote:  They surprised everyone with the Midlands Today temp set, I'm trying to work out where they are...

twitter.com 

I think it may be the usual spot overlooking the canal, but decorated (clearly going to be there a long time).
It is, it’s in the main office and actually blocking out quite a bit of natural light
They showed a couple of further shots of the temporary set on the show last night:

[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, tvwatcher

Is this just a new set or are they going to go HD? This was done over 10 years ago on the other side!

(01-11-2022, 08:40 PM)Lester Wrote:  Is this just a new set or are they going to go HD? This was done over 10 years ago on the other side!
I believe that some/most/all (?) BBC English Regions have been having the necessary tech upgrades for full HD capability during the last 12 months or so.

Not sure when the BBC One HD channel itself will finally start showing the regional news bulletins (rather than the Red Screen Of Death), but presumably whenever it happens they'll all be in HD from the outset.

The other side may have had regional programmes produced in HD for ages, but there's still a woeful lack of many regions/sub-regions on Freeview 103 (e.g. Central West HD is broadcast macro-regionally to the East & West Midlands and also the entire West Country).

(01-11-2022, 10:20 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
(01-11-2022, 08:40 PM)Lester Wrote:  Is this just a new set or are they going to go HD? This was done over 10 years ago on the other side!
I believe that some/most/all (?) BBC English Regions have been having the necessary tech upgrades for full HD capability during the last 12 months or so.

The current HD enabled regions are London, North West, South West (excluding the CI sub-opt) and South (excluding Oxford which is closing in December).

South East Today has had a studio re-fit, but is stil in SD, along with Look North Leeds. I suspect this will be the same for Midlands Today which will still be SD only until it moves out of the Mailbox. I don't know what's happening at EMT, but I suspect they're getting a HD upgrade while they're in their temporary studio.

(01-11-2022, 10:26 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(01-11-2022, 10:20 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I believe that some/most/all (?) BBC English Regions have been having the necessary tech upgrades for full HD capability during the last 12 months or so.

The current HD enabled regions are London, North West, South West (excluding the CI sub-opt) and South (excluding Oxford which is closing in December).

South East Today has had a studio re-fit, but is stil in SD, along with Look North Leeds.  I suspect this will be the same for Midlands Today which will still be SD only until it moves out of the Mailbox.  I don't know what's happening at EMT, but I suspect they're getting a HD upgrade while they're in their temporary studio.

Nottingham is HD, it had significant upgrades about a year or so ago to enable this.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mike's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, London Lite

They said on Midlands Today that they would be in the temporary set for a couple of months. It doesn't take that long to build a new set...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Superman1986

(02-11-2022, 06:50 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  They said on Midlands Today that they would be in the temporary set for a couple of months. It doesn't take that long to build a new set...
There may be things like techical upgrades to the studio/gallery etc happening in-between removing the old set and building the new one, plus a period of doing off-air pilot bulletins from the new set before it makes its on-screen debut.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • Kojak, Superman1986

That was kind of my point, for it to take that long there must be some tech work happening