BBC/ITV Midlands News

Late Midlands Today last night (19/7/23)

Stayed on this static shot all bulletin because the backdrop screens were not turned on[Image: vlcsnap-2023-07-20-16h35m15s829.png]

I had East Midlands Today on tonight? What happened?

(20-07-2023, 06:49 PM)Lester Wrote:  I had East Midlands Today on tonight? What happened?

Industrial action
pres.cafe 

East Midlands didn’t even mention at all the West Midlands viewers that were joining them.

I get about not providing news and weather for the West but at least acknowledge your extra viewers to avoid confusion.
[-] The following 4 users Like RDJ's post:
  • Kendal87, Lester, Superman1986, UTVLifer

What cameras are they using on Midlands today, the final shot had funny colour and a terrible frame rate like they switch on a cheap go pro.

(26-07-2023, 09:05 PM)harshy Wrote:  What cameras are they using on Midlands today, the final shot had funny colour and a terrible frame rate like they switch on a cheap go pro.

I’ve noticed this on Look North (Leeds) too. There’s a shot they use when linking to the weather with a camera to the right of the set showing from the sofa over to the weather position. Similarly it appears to be 25fps and not brilliant picture quality.

(In defence of GoPros, many models are capable of up to 200fps and much better PQ than this!)
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • harshy, Quantum+83

(27-07-2023, 01:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I’ve noticed this on Look North (Leeds) too. There’s a shot they use when linking to the weather with a camera to the right of the set showing from the sofa over to the weather position. Similarly it appears to be 25fps and not brilliant picture quality.

(In defence of GoPros, many models are capable of up to 200fps and much better PQ than this!)

Does this shot possibly use a small fixed position camera at the far edge of the studio. I feel like I've seen one in someone's behind the scenes shot. Clearly a camera that wouldn't be used by the presenter as there was no autocue.
[-] The following 2 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • Quantum+83, Spencer

(27-07-2023, 01:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I’ve noticed this on Look North (Leeds) too. There’s a shot they use when linking to the weather with a camera to the right of the set showing from the sofa over to the weather position. Similarly it appears to be 25fps and not brilliant picture quality.

On BBC Look North they seems to be some partial covering on top of the shot like they’ve forgotten to take something off the camera?
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • Spencer

(27-07-2023, 05:29 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Does this shot possibly use a small fixed position camera at the far edge of the studio. I feel like I've seen one in someone's behind the scenes shot. Clearly a camera that wouldn't be used by the presenter as there was no autocue.

Most probably. Although I can’t believe they can’t find one which outputs at 50fps.

There seems to be a lack of attention to frame rates in BBC News generally, like the awful output from the BBC Verify position in the London newsroom. Does no-one understand these things any more, or do they just not care?
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Nige, Quantum+83, Superman1986

Think it might be a Canon PTZ or something similar, but I'm not sure?

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • harshy, Quantum+83, Spencer