Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -)

I remember someone telling me before that channels are given the rights to some films as extras in a package. The main films in the package are bigger films and in the OAR and the others could be edits or crops, so if that is true, perhaps this was included and that's why it isn't OAR?

Anyway, Channel 5 have shown plenty of films before in their 2.35:1 OAR, so I don't think it is them cropping it, perhaps they are showing an older print they never got renewed from the distributor?

(09-04-2023, 10:27 PM)rick Wrote:  I remember someone telling me before that channels are given the rights to some films as extras in a package. The main films in the package are bigger films and in the OAR and the others could be edits or crops, so if that is true, perhaps this was included and that's why it isn't OAR?

Anyway, Channel 5 have shown plenty of films before in their 2.35:1 OAR, so I don't think it is them cropping it, perhaps they are showing an older print they never got renewed from the distributor?
I think this is the first time The Hobbit (Desolation of Smaug) has been shown on Channel 5, though, which is why I am so perplexed. Previously it's been on ITV, who did show it in the OAR. Had it just been an older print that they'd had for years, then I'd understand - but I don't think it is. Not that it's a massive deal - just seems a little odd these days. I thought cropping films was a thing of the past.

(09-04-2023, 10:40 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(09-04-2023, 10:27 PM)rick Wrote:  I remember someone telling me before that channels are given the rights to some films as extras in a package. The main films in the package are bigger films and in the OAR and the others could be edits or crops, so if that is true, perhaps this was included and that's why it isn't OAR?

I think this is the first time The Hobbit (Desolation of Smaug) has been shown on Channel 5, though, which is why I am so perplexed. Previously it's been on ITV, who did show it in the OAR. Had it just been an older print that they'd had for years, then I'd understand - but I don't think it is. Not that it's a massive deal - just seems a little odd these days. I thought cropping films was a thing of the past.
When ITV first showed The Hobbit 1 & 2, they used cropped versions before later switching to OAR prints, so there’s a possibility that Channel 5 may have inherited these copies. The third Hobbit film is on next week, and ITV always showed that one in OAR, so if it is cropped then it could mean that Channel 5 has something to do with the cropping.
[-] The following 2 users Like TVFan's post:
  • Happy2001, Kojak

That's roughly 21:9, so showing it at 16:9 means you lose about a quarter of the picture. Yeah, not great.

The only terrestrial channel looking very out of place is Channel 5: with its very basic idents.

You can argue with that, but each one of the main channels has a rather "coherent" look now.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kunst's post:
  • DeMarkay, insert_good_username_here, orange, strollfan

(15-06-2023, 08:24 PM)Kunst Wrote:  The only terrestrial channel looking very out of place is Channel 5: with its very basic idents.

You can argue with that, but each one of the main channels has a rather "coherent" look now.

Agree with this wholeheartedly - the only one which gets close to C4 is BBC Two, but BBC One and ITV both have overall strong identities, even if ITV could do with a bit more diversity in their idents.
[-] The following 5 users Like strollfan's post:
  • DeMarkay, insert_good_username_here, Kunst, Superman1986, TJTSW

(15-06-2023, 08:24 PM)Kunst Wrote:  The only terrestrial channel looking very out of place is Channel 5: with its very basic idents.

I'm obviously on my own here, but I really like the C5 idents and surrounding pres. Heart

They are better than the programmes, which are often just a repeat with a different name and labelled as 'NEW'.

(16-06-2023, 09:29 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm obviously on my own here, but I really like the C5 idents and surrounding pres. Heart

They are better than the programmes, which are often just a repeat with a different name and labelled as 'NEW'.

I don't dislike them, I just think they're lacking in any real personality or identity. They're easy on the eye and very competent, but nothing that anybody would associate with the 5 brand, they're really just the logo on coloured backgrounds.
[-] The following 3 users Like strollfan's post:
  • benzj, insert_good_username_here, orange

(16-06-2023, 10:08 AM)strollfan Wrote:  I don't dislike them, I just think they're lacking in any real personality or identity. They're easy on the eye and very competent, but nothing that anybody would associate with the 5 brand, they're really just the logo on coloured backgrounds.
The logo is the 5 brand. It's used across their other UK channels and the streaming service.  They had a long period of ever-changing ownership and identity which felt like they were happening every 20 minutes. They even kept changing the names of the channels within the group, which doesn't help.

Paramount Global have provided a decent identity for C5, and they've stuck with it for a while. It's also linked and cross promoted within the other PG channels. It's nice to see a bit of stability for once.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • DeMarkay, TJTSW

Agree about Channel 5. They are just a number on a coloured background but that's their charm, there are no delusions of grandeur.  They're not trying to say anything pompous they're just telling you what channel you're watching like idents used to do. If it was any other channel they'd probably get more credit for their old school approach.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Spencer, Stuart, TJTSW