TV Social Media Pres Gold

(19-03-2023, 07:34 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Not sure if anyone has posted this, but here's Yorkshire's opening night in full, back in 1968:
youtu.be 

Some young faces on here, Michael Partington,Richard Whiteley,Jonathan Aitken and the great Donald Baverstock,not one of his finest programmes though!
[-] The following 2 users Like Northlad's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, W. Knight

So much smoking too! One of those things that reminds you some aspects of the past really do belong in the past.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, W. Knight

Not pres as such, but this is amusing

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • JasonB, Spencer

Perhaps this should be a thread in the tech section but I'll mention it here for now:

youtu.be 

(clip starts at 2h00.30s)

Dickie Davies anchoring ITV Sport's coverage of Torvill and Dean on location, from the 1984 World Figure Skating Championships in Ottowa

I'm surprised that we have Dickie presenting in vision with phone quality sound. I know phone-type circuits were used to add commentary to a host broadcaster feed (what we would now call a world feed) but surely if ITV were able to get a unilateral vision circuit, getting a quality audio circuit shouldn't have been too challenging? (I know this is probably pre sound-in-syncs, but still).  Was that a common thing or was this likely to have been a back up arrangement?

Incidentally, I believe this was before the power cut which delayed the competition, and led to Peter Lewis introducing a Thames programme on LWT (and the rest of the network)!

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Kojak

(20-03-2023, 11:26 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Incidentally, I believe this was before the power cut which delayed the competition, and led to Peter Lewis introducing a Thames programme on LWT (and the rest of the network)!

That clip is in that video too (2:04:23)

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Thames' Citytv proposal on Channel 5, as reported on BBC News:
twitter.com 

Always interested to see how this would turn out - although it'd probably collapse in 5 years Undecided

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(21-03-2023, 12:06 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  
(20-03-2023, 11:26 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Incidentally, I believe this was before the power cut which delayed the competition, and led to Peter Lewis introducing a Thames programme on LWT (and the rest of the network)!

That clip is in that video too (2:04:23)

Yes, the second embed starts there.

Hey everyone, i've found a newspaper clipping of the 1988 Anglia flag which debuted on 21st March 1988, which was 35 years ago today: twitter.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like Michael Kenchington's post:
  • Former Member 443, Roger Darthwell, Si-Co, Snop, Spencer, stusoldvideo, The Decimator

(21-03-2023, 12:46 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  Thames' Citytv proposal on Channel 5, as reported on BBC News:
twitter.com 
Always interested to see how this would turn out - although it'd probably collapse in 5 years Undecided
It could have worked, they'd probably not have come on air for a year or two and the economy had improved by then. As was seen by the number of bidders a couple of years later. 

IIRC the plan was for several city based stations rather than a national service, so more costly but that would have had some advantages. It could have been rolled out in London first and then to other cities. The transmitter network wouldn't only have been smaller but also rolled out gradually, and the retune scheme more manageable.

Thames had a lot of experience and facilities of course but one issue was that the decision was only made in mid December 1992 so a lot of their staff were gone by then. That said a lot of the people working on Channel 5 when it did launch in 1997 were Thames staff, then working for their then owners Pearson.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Kojak, W. Knight

Unsure if this has already been posted on the purple place:
youtu.be 
Notice the space balloon slide, which I'm assuming was before they introduced the chicken test card.