TV Social Media Pres Gold

youtu.be 
If anyone here can shed more light on this show, that would be great, nothing of this comes up when searching online and I don't think it's been documented before

Edit: I stood corrected, see info below

There's some information on Twitter - see @ Telly_Toon

The character in the thumbnail is apparently called Ric (Ric the Raven) and he was more successful in Germany than he ever was on TCC, to the point where he became the the mascot of his own Kids TV Channel.

The show was a filler series that ran between ad-breaks and it lasted until at least 1997, TCC itself closing down in 1998 save for the whole sustaining loop feed for somewhere in Europe which ran until 2000 I believe for contractual reasons.

(edit - self removed inappropriate snarky comment)
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • The Decimator, Tola

I think the feed for TCC after it closed in the UK was Nordic from memory. Lasted for about 6 months on C&W until October 1998 (2 years longer in Scandinavia) was entirely automated so you'd see technical difficulties a lot. It was due to anger at the channel closing at such short notice from the company (and most likely to viewers at the time).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tola's post:
  • The Decimator

Wasn't the closedown so short notice that they even ran their usual "we'll see you again tomorrow" video at the end of the last day?

Correct.
www.youtube.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(15-04-2023, 07:24 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The character in the thumbnail is apparently called Ric (Ric the Raven) and he was more successful in Germany than he ever was on TCC, to the point where he became the the mascot of his own Kids TV Channel.

Yes, Ric TV is still going in Germany. An interesting quirk is that it goes audio only between 7 and 7.30pm CET (a bedtime story is broadcast), as it shares its satellite transponder with the regional variations of ORF 2, which shows its regional news during that timeslot.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Tola

The 4th edition of CD:UK here, with the bits that didn't get caught by the copyright police anyway.The acts appearing show how they weren't getting big names into the studio at this point, not sure the kids would have been hugely interested in the likes of OMD and the Divine Comedy, and bit strange to play out with a 3 year old Pulp video even if it was Jarvis Cocker's birthday. I'd actually be more interested in seeing the SM:TV that came before this.

www.youtube.com 

At this point it still has the "LWT presentation for IT\* endcap", which would be gone a couple of weeks later.

The lack of the DOG makes me wonder if this has come from the master tape.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • The Decimator

(16-04-2023, 12:33 PM)James2001 Wrote:  The 4th edition of CD:UK here, with the bits that didn't get caught by the copyright police anyway.The acts appearing show how they weren't getting big names into the studio at this point, not sure the kids would have been hugely interested in the likes of OMD and the Divine Comedy, and bit strange to play out with a 3 year old Pulp video even if it was Jarvis Cocker's birthday. I'd actually be more interested in seeing the SM:TV that came before this.

www.youtube.com 

At this point it still has the "LWT presentation for IT\* endcap", which would be gone a couple of weeks later.

The lack of the DOG makes me wonder if this has come from the master tape.

Given that according to those end credits there CD:UK came from The London Studios. Did SM:TV Live as well and how close were the studios / sets? Sorry to be a pain and ask.

SM:TV and CD:UK shared the same studio and sets (you can see the characters from the SM:TV titles behind the CD:UK performances for example), that was the case through all of SM:TV's life. Apart from the last few months when they were in Riverside when SM:TV and CD:UK had different studios, but SM:TV still made use of CD:UK's sets for music performances and some sketches.

You do have the rather bizarre situation now where the rights to SM:TV and CD:UK are entirely separate, even though they were basically two segments of the same show (SM:TV was basically an afterthought and intended to be a CD:UK pre-show, though it very quickly moved away from that). It means they weren't able to use any CD:UK footage in the story of SM:TV that ITV showed a couple of years back, even though both shows were very much linked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • AaronLancs

I found this SM:tv Live playlist today featuring episodes from 1999. Including the first few episodes of Chums:
www.youtube.com