TV Social Media Pres Gold

Originally posted by Blubatt on another thread, Defunctland put out a really powerful doc about the four-note jingle of the Disney Channel, still remaining in use to this very day. You don't see a lot of people talking about something as niche as this, especially for how deep and enriching the journey was.
www.youtube.com 

I found this video bizarrely enjoyable. Listening to how deeply impactful 4 notes can be is really the power of sonic identities and there's many off the top of my head which are similar, such as the BBC One leitmotif from 2006 or the Sky Sports jingle used during break bumpers.

Funnily enough, I believe Disney Channel International ended up using a similar, if not strongly dominant jingle of their own, before adapting their branding to the US channel, barring the extra note at the start that the "Bounce" era would later use.
youtu.be 
[-] The following 4 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Josh, Medianext.MX, Roger Darthwell, The Decimator

(21-11-2022, 10:13 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Originally posted by Blubatt on another thread, Defunctland put out a really powerful doc about the four-note jingle of the Disney Channel, still remaining in use to this very day. You don't see a lot of people talking about something as niche as this, especially for how deep and enriching the journey was.
www.youtube.com 

I found this video bizarrely enjoyable. Listening to how deeply impactful 4 notes can be is really the power of sonic identities and there's many off the top of my head which are similar, such as the BBC One leitmotif from 2006 or the Sky Sports jingle used during break bumpers.

Funnily enough, I believe Disney Channel International ended up using a similar, if not strongly dominant jingle of their own, before adapting their branding to the US channel, barring the extra note at the start that the "Bounce" era would later use.
youtu.be 

Defunctland has done alot of great piece about lost tv series including Jim Henson and the muppets. Of course its rather American sided and pretty much washes over Lew grade, but the basics are still there. His work is great.

From what Ive seen many of the younger generations there don't fully appreciate the aspect being explained in that video. Many just seem to care about logo and nothing else, not the background, the date the creator etc etc, its all about the logo. So its nice to know there are still people out there care about the bigger picture in the world of TV pres
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • The Decimator, TVFan

An interesting variant of the Thames/LWT handover in the era when Thames provided a news bulletin to LWT on Fridays, with Thames handing to the new trailer, but it's actually coming via LWT (although Thames may have cut to the news studio as well)

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Si-Co

(26-11-2022, 01:14 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  An interesting variant of the Thames/LWT handover in the era when Thames provided a news bulletin to LWT on Fridays, with Thames handing to the new trailer, but it's actually coming via LWT (although Thames may have cut to the news studio as well)

I remember those Thames Weekend News bulletins on Friday evenings which LWT paid for, I believe they'd physically switch back to Euston Road and back to the South Bank as seen in that clip.

By the late 80s, LWT commissioned a third-party producer to provide bulletins branded as LWT News of which Pam Royle was the presenter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Si-Co

I'm pretty sure that the transmitter was switched to LWT at 5.15, and Thames' news studio was fed to LWT as an outside source
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DavidV, Si-Co

(26-11-2022, 02:27 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(26-11-2022, 01:14 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  An interesting variant of the Thames/LWT handover in the era when Thames provided a news bulletin to LWT on Fridays, with Thames handing to the new trailer, but it's actually coming via LWT (although Thames may have cut to the news studio as well)

I remember those Thames Weekend News bulletins on Friday evenings which LWT paid for, I believe they'd physically switch back to Euston Road and back to the South Bank as seen in that clip.

By the late 80s, LWT commissioned a third-party producer to provide bulletins branded as LWT News of which Pam Royle was the presenter.

I believe it was a firm called "Screennews"

IIRC LWT didn't do a proper news bulletin themselves (or at least without Thames' involvement) until well into the 80s, and up to that point it was the absolute minimum they could get away with - something like 16 minutes I read somewhere and it was all shoved into the first hour or so of transmission after the handover.

But the whole Friday night news thing on LWT was almost certainly an outside source, due to transmitter switch, and Thames probably had no right to be on air after 5:15 on a Friday - if they were it was probably as a producer/outside source, not as a broadcaster. Probably one of the better revenue streams going for Thames - LWT gave them something like half a million quid for what worked out to about 14hrs of material a year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • DavidV

Screen News started producing LWT in the mid 80's:
en.wikipedia.org 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • DavidV

(10-09-2022, 09:09 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  This clip has appeared,  which is another ITV promotion with John Thaw.  We have to wonder if Thaw did 15 take with each company name? 

www.youtube.com 

He wouldn't need too because of the cutaway - he could basically say all fifteen stations at that point.

According to the Wikipedia page, Chrysalis took over from Screen News from 1990-1992, LNN of course took over in 1993.

LWT News - 1988. Screen News.

www.youtube.com 

LWT News - 1992 - Chrysalis Television.

youtu.be