TV Social Media Pres Gold

I think it's actually TSW, as I'm sure they used that background for a while.
[-] The following 1 user Likes robertclark125's post:
  • Si-Co

(23-03-2024, 07:44 AM)Si-Co Wrote:  Nothing special about this clip, except I’m curious to know which region it comes from. I don’t recognise the announcer, and both the continuity backdrop and the slide are generic. Possibly one of the smaller companies?

youtu.be 
Credit: 80s and Retro TV Clips - YouTube

It's definitely TSW - and the announcer is Sally Gilbert.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Si-Co

Thanks Robert and lookoutwales. Steve, BFBS did cross my mind after I posted - it is a little reminiscent of their presentation!

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Si-Co's post:
  • lookoutwales

A compilation of national and regional news coverage from 1980 on the sinking of the Mi Amigo, most famously one of the Radio Caroline ships.

At the back end is a DTL interview with Tom Edwards on Look East (which Tom ended up anchoring around the time the Marine Offences Act came into force)

youtu.be 

On a similar note, there’s this interesting special report from Coast to Coast on the state of radio in the South East c.1984 - not long before Invicta launched (having already merged with Northdown Radio, an ILR licence which never made it to air)

youtu.be 
  • Si-Co

A few choice selections from the excellent new 5PY website (and there's a lot more where that came from)

From 1980, Hugh Scully interrogates the three bidders for the ITV franchise in the South West for a monthly series called 'Newswatch'

www.youtube.com 

A restored version of the first regional TV bulletin for viewers in the South and West regions from 1957

www.youtube.com 

And a couple of amusing local promos...

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
  • The Decimator

From the excellent Made in Maidstone channel, here’s the TVS Staff Address from James Gatward in January 1990 on the back of a year’s results for the business.

Not too great news on the MTM side of things…

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • lookoutwales, Si-Co

The MTM thing really was their downfall. And then likely why their archive ended up in such a mess too, as the buyers likely only cared about the MTM stuff and the TVS paperwork got tossed out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • The Decimator

Thing is, they couldn't buy into another franchise at that point, and capitalism being what it is they were expected to grow. The fact that syndication revenues went through the floor literally at the point of acquisition really screwed things over and left them vulnerable. Perhaps this is the one case where the acquisition frenzy post deregulation would have helped rather than hindered.

Don't forget to out your clocks forward. All 1000 of them.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, ethanjbrady, fanoftv, lookoutwales, stusoldvideo, thomash79, Transmission

Hope there's none that chime and you have to move forward and wait for the chimes to finish before you can go on 😱 That was always fun when setting my grandmother's westminster chime clock for the October change back.