TV Social Media Pres Gold

With this BBC2 trailer from 1994, I'm suprised they put the "Oh, crap" clip from Red Dwarf in there. It's a funny joke, but it's something I wouldn't expect to be put in a trailer. Was it only shown in the evenings?

tvark.org 

I feel there was a different attitude to language in the 90s. They got away with repeating Fantasy Football on Sunday lunchtimes, complete with this iconic sketch

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • lookoutwales

Yep, and the language on Lee & Herring’s ‘This Morning With Richard Not Judy’ which was shown on Sunday afternoons in the late 1990s could also be quite surprising at times.

On a video I have recorded off Challenge TV in 2006 there’s a Bravo trailer for the then new show It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which doesn’t have any swearing but still some quite adult material with abortion jokes being aired at about 8am on a Sunday, but the viewers would be so minuscule at that time I doubt anyone cared.

(31-03-2024, 04:32 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I feel there was a different attitude to language in the 90s. They got away with repeating Fantasy Football on Sunday lunchtimes, complete with this iconic sketch

www.youtube.com 

Yeah, just that thumbnail has a word I'm sure wouldn't go out on Sunday afternoons on a main channel now. That word's cut out of the episode of The Simpsons that it appears in!

Though I have been surprised at some of what I've seen left in on some shows on Gold and Drama recently (which on a couple of occasions has included that word without the last letter). Though I guess weekday daytimes, when kids aren't likely to even be at home on a channel they likely wouldn't watch even if they were is different to a weekend lunchtime on a main terrestrial channel (though kids aren't likely to be watching that these days either...)

(31-03-2024, 04:32 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I feel there was a different attitude to language in the 90s. They got away with repeating Fantasy Football on Sunday lunchtimes, complete with this iconic sketch

www.youtube.com 

Sunday lunchtimes felt very much like BBC2's secondary 'Comedy Zone' for a few years (used to be off the back of CBBC, didn't it?)

Just about recall Fantasy Football getting lunchtime repeats, but also especially Shooting Stars - which I think went some way to introducing a younger audience to Vic and Bob.

The Simpsons also got a Sunday repeat fairly early on, IIRC.

The Simpsons had a lunchtime repeat on a Sunday on BBC2 from when BBC1 started showing the series in November 1996. When BBC2 took the show outright, the Monday and Friday showings were repeated on Sundays for a short while. To be fair the BBC edits to The Simpsons weren’t as bad as what Sky used to be and how Channel 4 are now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • lookoutwales

Channel 4 seem to be even worse than Sky were when they were scissor happy in the 90s (they put back in a lot of cut content in the early 00s), cutting out stuff even Sky at their worst left in. I don't think they were that bad at first, but they put out Trash Of The Titans uncut, which got them into trouble and they seemed to be overly cautious from that point. Some of their edits seem beyond comprehension.

And I remember a later repeat of that episode on T4 where they did a "next on" trailer where they showed the "this is where you register as a sex offender" bit, which was cut from the episode itself! Again, that's a bit Sky never cut out even when they were at their worst (and the scene makes no sense with it cut, either).

The BBC showed The Cartridge Family uncut without any issues several times when Sky had refused to show it at all until that point.

That episode debuted on home video as a result. There was a VHS called Too Hot For TV.

(31-03-2024, 06:25 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Channel 4 seem to be even worse than Sky were when they were scissor happy in the 90s (they put back in a lot of cut content in the early 00s), cutting out stuff even Sky at their worst left in. I don't think they were that bad at first, but they put out Trash Of The Titans uncut, which got them into trouble and they seemed to be overly cautious from that point. Some of their edits seem beyond comprehension.

Wasn't it A Streetcar Named Marge? (the New Orleans episode). They aired it a week after Katrina.

(31-03-2024, 10:06 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That episode debuted on home video as a result. There was a VHS called Too Hot For TV.

IIRC they left in the VT clock or something like that at the start of the episode too. Had the first dates Sky & BBC could show the episodes.

(01-04-2024, 09:28 AM)TIGHazard Wrote:  Wasn't it A Streetcar Named Marge? (the New Orleans episode). They aired it a week after Katrina.

I was thinking of them leaving in U2 saying a certain word on the other episode.