TV Social Media Pres Gold

(24-03-2024, 09:03 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  A compilation of national and regional news coverage from 1980 on the sinking of the Mi Amigo, most famously one of the Radio Caroline ships.

At the back end is a DTL interview with Tom Edwards on Look East (which Tom ended up anchoring around the time the Marine Offences Act came into force)

youtu.be 

Does anyone recognise the Look East presenter interviewing Tom Edwards?

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

(02-04-2024, 01:05 AM)Si-Co Wrote:  Does anyone recognise the Look East presenter interviewing Tom Edwards?

Roger Maynard - as namechecked by Ian Masters at the top of that piece - has been based in Sydney as a correspondent and author for the past few decades.

On the subject of Look East, there's a lengthy chunk of another edition (from 1980?) with Judi Lines on newsreading duty - plus a bit of About Anglia - in this compilation.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Si-Co

A couple more archive wonders from the BBC Plymouth archives (cc. 5PY Heritage)

A 1977 day-in-the-life documentary (remastered for the most part) - among other things, there appears to be a rare re-recording of the Nationwide theme during the Spotlight studio sequence. We also see some footage of the Pres suite.

www.youtube.com 

There's another behind-the-scenes film from c.1972 (again, re-edited in places) looking at 'Midday Parade', which was the daily regional opt-out on Radio 4, launched in the wake of Broadcasting in the Seventies. 'Morning Sou'West' would replace it a year later and survived until just before Radio Cornwall and Radio Devon went on air.

You might recognise the continuity announcer - and Irish viewers might recognise the presenter...RTE veteran Colm Connolly.

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

I never realised Ballet was used in such situation - as the lead out of a news flash about the Potters Bar rail crash and to introduce Doctors.

(09-04-2024, 12:29 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  www.youtube.com 
I never realised Ballet was used in such situation - as the lead out of a news flash about the Potters Bar rail crash and to introduce Doctors.

As I recall when these idents were first launched it was just used as normal ident along with the others. It was later on that they began to reserve it only for before sensitive programming.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(09-04-2024, 06:55 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  As I recall when these idents were first launched it was just used as normal ident along with the others. It was later on that they began to reserve it only for before sensitive programming.

That’s right. Bearing in mind this was still within the first few weeks of its use, Ballet was still in general rotation.

Obviously its usage within coverage of the death of the Queen Mother a few weeks before added greater impact to the ident. But it wasn’t until a few weeks/months later that it was decided that it should solely be reserved for use in sombre situations only.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDJ's post:
  • Newshound47

I think there were a few regions that hadn’t got the memo and continued to use Ballet. I remember Midlands using it for years.

The last knockings of local continuity on Grampian before SMG centralised operations in Glasgow.

Your announcer, Gary Stein, is probably getting a certain amount of grief from radio anoraks in his role at Bauer nowadays.

I always felt 1998 marked the beginning of the end for ITV's regional era, what with local branding and presentation in most areas beginning to be scaled back considerably.

Others argue that it started with the end of the frontcaps a decade before, which I've never been convinced by.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • scottishtv, Si-Co, Stuart

(09-04-2024, 06:55 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  As I recall when these idents were first launched it was just used as normal ident along with the others. It was later on that they began to reserve it only for before sensitive programming.

Was still used as play out at least once after this (the day Pope John Paul II died).

Of course, given what went down in the lead match on MotD that night, maybe Capoeira would have been more appropriate youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JLav25's post:
  • TVFan

(13-04-2024, 12:10 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  Was still used as play out at least once after this (the day Pope John Paul II died).

I thought it was the introduction to coverage of his funeral rather than the day of his death? Perhaps it was both. I don't think it had been played out nationally for years at that point, had it?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com