TV Social Media Pres Gold

That Channel 4 closedown is bizarre, was the black and white, the silence and the not seeming to realise he was on air intentional?

Just realised the person who uploaded both those videos is someone I talked to a couple of weeks back for reasons completely unrelated to TV presentation 🤣
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • TesTVWhirl

(25-04-2024, 06:47 PM)James2001 Wrote:  That Channel 4 closedown is bizarre, was the black and white, the silence and the not seeming to realise he was on air intentional?

I don’t think so. You can hear him being cued. These closedowns were filmed in the Preview 4 studio, I believe, and there were no monitors to refer to, probably just a locked-in position camera, so the announcer had no idea what was actually going out. The silent slide and clock with bizarre graphics were probably also unintentional, as was the lack of colour.

THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY…

Did Channel 4 turn off the colour burst for black and white programmes like the BBC and ITV companies did at the time? If they did, that could explain it being black and white, somehow it didn't come back on when it was meant to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Stooky Bill

(26-04-2024, 09:53 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Did Channel 4 turn off the colour burst for black and white programmes like the BBC and ITV companies did at the time? If they did, that could explain it being black and white, somehow it didn't come back on when it was meant to.
That was my thought to. Either they forgot or it was intentional to maintain the mood of the film.

Managed to trace one of those lesser spotted Granada idents - actually, more like an alternative variant of the football ident.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Milkshake, Rob Francis

I do not know why exactly YouTube decided to recommend this to me.

But surely there are departments in broadcasters that can stop this stuff from happening?

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • Kunst

(02-05-2024, 06:57 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  I do not know why exactly YouTube decided to recommend this to me.

But surely there are departments in broadcasters that can stop this stuff from happening?

www.youtube.com 

There's an example from 1983 where there was an advert for Ayds (an appetite suppressing pill apparently), followed by a CNN promotion that said "Get the facts about Aids [the disease]".

In fact one quick shufty later:
www.youtube.com 

So not a new thing at all it would appear though it seems to be "only in America" sort of thing Smile

(02-05-2024, 07:19 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  So not a new thing at all it would appear though it seems to be "only in America" sort of thing Smile

I've seen an Australian example where an advert for Hungry Jacks minis (two burgers stuck together) was followed by a trailer for a programme about conjoined twins.

And there you see the importance of seperating ads and content. Something which the American examples had a surprising amount of

The Hotels.com example is unfortunate for them but actually looks quite good for the channel - it shows they're independent enough to report on their advertisers.

When there's a tragic event ads are pulled, the main example being adverts for airlines amongst coverage of a plane crash. This was quite a problem for Qatar Airways when they sponsored the weather on almost every news channel. Those TV sets you see in airport lounges showing news channels have procedures to turn them off if there's a plane crash. I think CNN at one point had a seperate airport version

Of course on a lot of occasions the ads you're seeing aren't necessarily coming from the channel itself but a third party. Not always possible to get random cable company in the middle of India drop an ad
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • bilky asko