TV Social Media Pres Gold

Not the most exciting thing, but a rare sighting of the ITV version of ETP-1 from Grampian in September 1987. Sadly the recording cuts out before the signal was transferred to TV-am.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(25-10-2023, 09:25 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Cable and Wireless didn't bother to provide a data bridge, so when they inserted their ads, teletext disappeared. Bloody annoying when you were trying to read Mailbox  onPText

Lady On A Rooftop. That takes me back
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Transmission

(25-10-2023, 10:20 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Not the most exciting thing, but a rare sighting of the ITV version of ETP-1 from Grampian in September 1987. Sadly the recording cuts out before the signal was transferred to TV-am.

Pedantically, nothing to do with Grampian at all, the test card was from the transmitter site so broadcast by the IBA themselves

(26-10-2023, 01:45 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Pedantically, nothing to do with Grampian at all, the test card was from the transmitter site so broadcast by the IBA themselves

Had it came from Grampian, it would've had bars above and below the IBA, like on C4. The lack of bars confirmed it was coming from a transmitter site.

Wasn't the bars above and below purely a channel 4 thing?

I don't think ETP1 (or Test Card F before it for that matter) ever originated from the ITV companies, always the IBA/ITA themselves.

Some stuff from the BBC Archive YouTube channel:

Things you'd never get away with today #12:
Eric Morecambe smoking a pipe in front of a group of children in 1973, on an episode of Val Meets The VIPs:
www.youtube.com 

And from the same channel, here's a BBC Breakfast insert from 2013 re: BBC Idents.  I can't see this has already been posted and I did search so if has been posted... oops. Smile
www.youtube.com 

And for now, here's a look at VERA from 1958, Britain's first video tape recorder, and somebody mentions the ability to wipe the tape when they've fnished with it.  Nobody would be silly enough to record a programme on tape and then wipe it... would they? Wink
www.youtube.com 

(26-10-2023, 11:58 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Some stuff from the BBC Archive YouTube channel:

Things you'd never get away with today #12:
Eric Morecambe smoking a pipe in front of a group of children in 1973, on an episode of Val Meets The VIPs:
www.youtube.com 

And from the same channel, here's a BBC Breakfast insert from 2013 re: BBC Idents.  I can't see this has already been posted and I did search so if has been posted... oops. Smile
www.youtube.com 

And for now, here's a look at VERA from 1958, Britain's first video tape recorder, and somebody mentions the ability to wipe the tape when they've fnished with it.  Nobody would be silly enough to record a programme on tape and then wipe it... would they? Wink
www.youtube.com 
Speaking of video tapes, here's a clip from the BBC in 1982 warning us of the dangers of buying counterfeit video cassettes:

www.youtube.com 

And now for something you'd never get away with.

March 2003 - the late great Tony Wilson, during a mid-afternoon Granada News bulletin, lets rip at his production crew during the lead package. Unfortunately, someone left his mic up.

Wilson apologised at the end, but was suspended - he left Granada Reports a few months later.

www.youtube.com 

NSFW, obviously.
[-] The following 10 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • DeMarkay, insert_good_username_here, itvblocks, London Lite, Otis Crump, Si-Co, Spencer, Stooky Bill, Stuart, Yorksman

(27-10-2023, 11:26 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  And now for something you'd never get away with.

March 2003 - the late great Tony Wilson, during a mid-afternoon Granada News bulletin, lets rip at his production crew during the lead package. Unfortunately, someone left his mic up.

Wilson apologised at the end, but was suspended - he left Granada Reports a few months later.

www.youtube.com 

NSFW, obviously.

This is mentioned in one of the books about him. I'd never actually seen the clip though. It says he ad libs an apology at the end and there was another apology on the 6pm programme, which he stood down from.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Otis Crump's post:
  • lookoutwales

Channel 5 I believe shown this during one of their "When (insert subject) goes horribly wrong" programmes if I remember rightly.