Emmerdale 50th Anniversiary

Looks like ITV3 are showing 2 hours of Classic Emmerdale episodes (in addition to the the usual afternoon run, which co-incidentally will be showing the 30th anniversary episodes later in the month) from 10pm-Midnight during the week of the 17th October. Looks like it includes 7 episodes from the "Emmerdale Farm" era, which ITV3 didn't show- according to Digiguide though it doesn't give the exact dates, there's the first episode from 1972, an episode from 1976, 2 from 1978, 1 from 1986 and 2 from 1988. While I'd love to get the full 17 years (and still wish ITV3 had begun with them, they'd have got through it in a little over 2 years and be up to 1994/95 by now), it's good to finally see some episodes from the "farm" era get repeated.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • chevron, Si-Co

Promo for Emmerdale's 50th anniversary - here from STV

theident.gallery 
Web Image

theident.gallery 

[Image: tig96x96.png]

Just spotted the ITV Hub's uploaded a load of episodes in addition to those that ITV3 will be repeating next week:

www.itv.com 

Includes 15 episodes from the "Farm" era- 13 of which won't be on next week's ITV3 repeats. Includes the frontcaps too- including on the 1988 and 89 episodes (YTV kept putting them on tapes of programmes until the generic rebrand, even though they weren't broadcast after 1987).

This will be the first time the 1989 episode will have been seen since it was broadcast, as Sky Soap went off air with around 15 months of the "Farm" era unshown, and Network only bought out episodes 1-148 on DVD.
  • Happy2001, Ma76

I watched the first episode out of curiosity. Does anyone know why there is a mix of film recording for some of the location filming, and then video for other parts that are shot on location?

(14-10-2022, 11:19 PM)Phil Wrote:  I watched the first episode out of curiosity. Does anyone know why there is a mix of film recording for some of the location filming, and then video for other parts that are shot on location?

TBH there's quite a lot of that in shows from the 60s-80s, probably based on what was most practical/available at the time of filming. After all, video location work at the time would have needed big cameras and an OB unit which wouldn't always have been available or practical.

From what I've seen of Emmerdale Farm, the first few years are a mix of film and video on location, though heavily biased towards film in 73/74. I haven't seen any post-1975 filmed location work on Emmerdale Farm, though it doesn't mean there wasn't any, though there wouldn't have been much. Suprisingly early for a show to have most or all of its location work done on video though, when there were many shows still using film into the early 90s.

Whereas Corrie which was still using film until 1988! Though funnily enough Corrie had a lot of VT location work in the 60s and early 70s, though it seemed to drift mostly to film after around 1976 and video location work seemed to have gone entirely by the start of the 80s. Certainly with the episodes we saw on ITV3, the only 86/87 video location work was the fire episode, then a couple of brief scenes a couple of weeks later with Jack Duckwork trying to get people to join the Graffiti Club. Then there were 4 weeks in December 87/January 88 where all the location work was video, then it was back on film for another 5 weeks, before going video full time in Feb 88.

Wondering if the long term use of film on Corrie was editorial rather than practical (and the move away from video seemed to start around the time Bill Podmore took over as executive producer, and it was when David Liddiment took over some of his duties that it went back to video), especially when Granada's other soap, Albion Market, was entirely video. Especially when the set was right next to the studios and presumably they could have wired camera sockets to a gallery to even save an OB unit being needed.
  • Phil, The Decimator

(14-10-2022, 11:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(14-10-2022, 11:19 PM)Phil Wrote:  I watched the first episode out of curiosity. Does anyone know why there is a mix of film recording for some of the location filming, and then video for other parts that are shot on location?

TBH there's quite a lot of that in shows from the 60s-80s, probably based on what was most practical/available at the time of filming. After all, video location work at the time would have needed big cameras and an OB unit which wouldn't always have been available or practical.

From what I've seen of Emmerdale Farm, the first few years are a mix of film and video on location, though heavily biased towards film in 73/74. I haven't seen any post-1975 filmed location work on Emmerdale Farm, though it doesn't mean there wasn't any.

Compared to Corrie which was still using film until 1988! Though funnily enough Corrie had a lot of VT location work in the 60s and early 70s, though it seemed to drift mostly to film after around 1976 and video location work seemed to have gone entirely by the start of the 80s. Certainly with the episodes we saw on ITV3, the only 86/87 video location work was the fire episode, then a couple of brief scenes a couple of weeks later with Jack Duckwork trying to get people to join the Graffiti Club. Then there were 4 weeks in December 87/January 88 where all the location work was video, then it was back on film for another 5 weeks, before going video full time in Feb 88.
It just seemed quite unusual to see the mix in the same episode, especially when some scenes seem to be the same location. But like you say, probably due to equipment availability on different days of filming.

According to Corriepedia, there's an episode of Corrie in 1970 where two consecutive scenes that are meant to take place straight after each other move from video to film (or the other way round, can't remember which). Which is even more jarring than scenes in the same location at different parts of the episode being on a different format. Sadly it's not an episode that's on the Network DVD boxset, so I've not seen it personally, though there's certainly several episodes that are on DVD with both film and video location work in the same episode.

Talking of cameras though, watching the 2002 Emmerdale episodes on ITV3, I'm struck by how poor quality the studio scenes are. The location scenes look fine (and there's thin black bars down the edges of the screen on the studio work that isn't there on location), so I'm guessing it's something to do with the cameras they used in the studios, possibly older models than they used on location? Only really seemed to have become noticable after the show went 16:9, so presumably they either started using different cameras after the switch, or the cameras gave worse performance on 16:9 than in 4:3.

We're also less than 2 weeks from them showing the 30th anniversary episodes where they started using a film look before switching back after only 7 episodes because of complaints- going to be interesting to see whether ITV3 show the episodes with or without the film look- they could show it without the film look for consistency, like they did with the ITV2 omnibus showings back in 2002, rather than it jarringly switching for a few episodes then switching back.

I'm going off on far too much of a tangent here though!

Nice touch, beginning the episode with Kim Tate on a white horse, mirroring Marian Wilks at the start of the very first episode.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • UTVLifer

The ITV Hub episodes are great, but have been very peculiar in that they've been changing the episodes. For instance, Jackie's funeral was the 1989 episode but I think on Friday they changed it to the episode where his body was found. Also, Kathy and Chris's wedding was featured for the 1991 episode, but is now the one prior to that for their hen and stag nights. All very peculiar.

Looking forward to the Farm episodes on ITV 3 tomorrow.

And only getting a handful of the episodes can be frustrating too, as you don't always know the full story behind everything- for example Joe & Christine's wedding, we don't know the backstory to why Christine's half of the church was empty. Also the story you see with Jim Latimer in episode 50- by just watching that episode in isolation we don't know that he was a murderer (the show's first... amusingly the girl he killed was played by Louise Jameson who's back on the show in 2022 playing Rhona's mum), and he was going to try and kill that girl as well. You often lose a lot of context just getting isolated episodes.

Annoyingly, I don't seem to be able to get the 50fps streams of ITV Hub through Virgin Media any more (they stopped working on Roku last year summer as well), not just on the classic episodes, but any show on the hub. Have they changed something? They seem to have gone since we got a new version of the app.