ITV Programming

I think the biggest problem that had was Downton got in first - aired in September 2010 with Upstairs Downstairs airing at Christmas.

(5 hours ago)Brekkie Wrote:  I think the biggest problem that had was Downton got in first - aired in September 2010 with Upstairs Downstairs airing at Christmas.
I think the reason why Downton stopped making episodic series was because that lifestyle of a stately home and plenty of domestic staff had largely disappeared by the time period they'd reached.

It was difficult to continue forward into the 1940s. It would become rather depressing without as much interaction between the staff and the family. The films seem to work well, and are still very enjoyable.

(10 hours ago)Brekkie Wrote:  Thanks - a third movie always seemed much more likely. I think if it returned to TV it would either have to be a prequel or set a generation or two on rather than a continuation of the series and filmed.

I think it’s likely we’ll see young versions of DA characters pop up in the Gilded Age (there are rumours Bertha’s sometimes-mentioned sister might turn out to be Cora’s mother Martha) effectively solidifying TGA as a sort-of prequel.

A sequel would probably be quite a depressing affair with an elderly Lady Mary turfed out of a now National Trust-owned Downton and mourning the slow death of the artistocracy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flux's post:
  • Stuart

Here's another classic show that is still going strong in the states being brought back for the UK. Hell's Kitchen.

www.thesun.co.uk