Doctor Who

This logo is an iteration, if not an exact copy, of the 1973-1980 diamond logo when Tom Baker was in charge of the TARDIS, which is way before my time. However, it still looks cool now and it'll be interesting whether they'll continue with this retro look for the whole show. And whether this will be introduced for the David Tennant specials or when the 15th Doctor finally takes the helm in 2024.
[-] The following 2 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • Ma76, Medianext.MX

(25-10-2022, 03:51 PM)CATV Wrote:  I will say there has been wispers of a whoniverse.  With this Disney+ deal this could be the beginging of it. 
Yes, when the return of RTD was announced there seemed to be a suggestion that Doctor Who could develop into more of a franchise, like Marvel & DC, rather than just a standalone BBC show.

I have to say, as a fan of the show since its return in 2005, I think this is the big boost it needed because I could have foreseen it continuing on the downhill slide that IMO started under Chibnall's era. Whereas usually there is a period of quiet between the show-runners' eras, there seems to be a lot of energy and momentum behind this as a big relaunch in all but name.

A consequence with signing up with Disney is that BBC America, despite 'BBC' in the name, will no longer have the rights to Doctor Who.
twitter.com 

P.S. love the retro logo throwback!
[-] The following 2 users Like JamieD's post:
  • Ma76, Medianext.MX

(25-10-2022, 04:06 PM)JamieD Wrote:  
(25-10-2022, 03:51 PM)CATV Wrote:  I will say there has been wispers of a whoniverse.  With this Disney+ deal this could be the beginging of it. 
Yes, when the return of RTD was announced there seemed to be a suggestion that Doctor Who could develop into more of a franchise, like Marvel & DC, rather than just a standalone BBC show.
In the past they've had spinoffs such as Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures. It's plausible that they might be tempted to try another spinoff, though there might be a question of which company/companies owned the rights. The only frustrating thing is having to wait an entire year for the next set of episodes, as presumably there isn't a Christmas / New Year special.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Ma76

Well, Sheldon Cooper would not be happy about the loss of his morning routine. Jokes aside, this is a huge development for the show, which I feel is going to go through, probably, its biggest internal changes since its revival in 2005. With the show being a co-production, Bad Wolf Studios being owned, and presumably financed by, Sony, and now the Disney Plus distribution deal, this is going to be a big step up for the show.

As for the 'new' logo, anthing is an improvement on the now old Chibnall era logo. That one looked more generic sci-fi than Doctor Who-ish to my eyes. I always thought that the Pertwee era logo was the best, and should have been the logo for both the classic run and the current run. I'm not disappointed though, I do like the diamond logo. RTD has made a good move with this. Apeing the classic show for that nostalgia pop, and the 14th Doctor being...well, spoilers. This is John Nathan Turner levels of promotion, and we've still got 13 months to wait until the new stuff comes.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • JamieD, Juicy Joe

Kudos to the forum admins for updating the thread thumbnail so quickly!
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • JAS84, Ma76

And let's not forget that other recent spinoff, Class (...anyone? Confused )

Is the Disney+ deal likely to affect the way Doctor Who is produced, from a technical point of view? Eg, I assume they're still shooting at 25fps rather than 24?
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • Ma76

That's what happened with the last series of Torchwood, wasn't it?

(26-10-2022, 04:33 PM)James2001 Wrote:  That's what happened with the last series of Torchwood, wasn't it?

Torchwood S4 (a BBC/Starz co-production) was actually shot at 24fps. They did horrible things to interpolate it out to 25fps for the UK, without speeding it up. I recall it looking quite rough, even on BBC One HD...

But the difference there was that Starz had creative input, and a significant amount of the filming took place in the US.

When Netflix have had 'rest of world' rights to BBC shows, are those made to UK specs?
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • Ma76

That final series of Torchwood was dire, Bill Pullman's creepy performance was probably the only good thing about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • thomash79