Doctor Who

(04-05-2024, 10:45 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Here's the clip 😂😂

Jimmy Hill, Kenneth Woolstenhome, hologram Ian Wright and a cyborg Gary Lineker. Quite the mash-up.

x.com 
It's quite a clever bit of cross-marketing.

Given that we're now less than a week from the new series (or season as it's now called) airing I wouldn't be too surprised if something similar occurs on some other shows. I could easily envisage something for The One Show, MasterChef, and Eastenders. Antiques Roadshow might also be tempting, if The Doctor wanted something valuing.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(05-05-2024, 07:38 AM)Keith Wrote:  It's quite a clever bit of cross-marketing.

Given that we're now less than a week from the new series (or season as it's now called) airing I wouldn't be too surprised if something similar occurs on some other shows. I could easily envisage something for The One Show, MasterChef, and Eastenders. Antiques Roadshow might also be tempting, if The Doctor wanted something valuing.

They'd never do it, but 'archive' Question Time with Harold Saxon & Harriett Jones could work.
[-] The following 2 users Like TIGHazard's post:
  • JT95, Stuart

I assume this was played out by pres rather than the programme gallery, hence why the regular titles were played right after the 'hijacked' ones?

(01-05-2024, 09:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bit ridiculous the BBC listings refer to this as "Season 1". Every other show on the BBC, including US series, are referred to as "series" not "season".

Richard Osman answered a listener question on his podcast about season vs series. His view is that series means the show as a whole, season is a run of episodes. So you might call the classics series 1 and the reboot series 2

Although as much of an authority as Richard is, I think that's rubbish. I distinctly remember Redvers Kyle using the phrase "last in the present series" and listings magazines highlighting returning programmes with a New Series flash.

Yes - that series/season convention is a US thing. Here series has always meant both but of course season has crept into the vocabulary more and more - even more so recently with the domination of US streamers.

Yes, that’s not correct at all.

US TV has seasons that span from September to May -ish with usually 22-26 episodes per season. Hence why they call them seasons.

We don’t have this system, a series over here is usually 6 episodes, maybe a bit less or a bit more.

But it’s series, not season, no matter what the streaming services might try to dictate.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Was Classic Who always known as 'Seasons' like it is now, or was that a more modern thing with the advent of 'Series 1' re-beginning in 2005?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • UTVLifer

The talk of promotion in here is amusing. I still see fans saying it isn’t promoted enough! Aside from the relative quietness of the Chibnall era I’d still argue that there’s not another show that the BBC promote more. I can’t really think of anything else?

(05-05-2024, 12:25 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Was Classic Who always known as 'Seasons' like it is now, or was that a more modern thing with the advent of 'Series 1' re-beginning in 2005?
Classic WHO was always “season”.

Nu-WHO became “series”.

Now with Nu-Nu-WHO we are back to “season”, because, Disney.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • AndrewP, Happy2001, RhysJR

I wonder if the classics were season as in that era longer US style "seasons" were much more common on UK TV.