Doctor Who

For me, when talking about a set of episodes produced in the same run and clearly marked as such, it's always been series for UK shows and seasons for US shows. The seasons/months things I get but there are some US shows that don't have enough episodes to last a season but I and most people still call them a season. In the UK, series can refer to a show as a whole (i.e. "that TV series") and a run of episodes within as explained. Similarly, in the US, series is another word for show but they have their own term for a run of episodes (season).

Doctor Who's "Season 1" is a marketing gimmick to make the show seem fresh and to appeal to a new set of fans, all because of Disney.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • JosiahStuart, Stuart

While it's a shame to break the series numbering that's been established since 2005, I can understand the logic. Doctor Who is no longer solely a BBC show, it's a partnership with Disney+ which will bring it to an entirely new audience, and from their perspective you simply can't start with Season/Series 14, it would make no sense. Giving the UK different series numbering to the rest of the world would also be a non-starter. In the same way that Torchwood: Miracle Day (a BBC/Starz co-production) was never officially termed as Series 4, they sort of tiptoed around that completely.

As for Series vs Season, I think both can be valid depending on context. Historically, I believe the original run from 1963-1989 was often referred to as 'Seasons' in contemporary documents and listings, long before the revival came along. Flipping back to Seasons now does feel like a US/Disney influence, but to be honest it's so prevalent these days (including the classic run which is actively being released on Blu-ray under the 'season' banner) that I don't mind it too much.

Steven Moffat wanted to reset the numbering back to Series 1 as early as 2010, but the idea wasn't popular at the time!
[-] The following 3 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, Happy2001, News Engineer

Can someone give me a clue?

I have both Disney+ and iPlayer. The witching hour has passed and there is no Doctor Who ..... Confused

EDIT: I can see it my laptop but not my TV. OK transferred to my TV and surround sound. FABness!

The title sequence has been substantially altered. The last third or so (beginning just after the actors' names, as the TARDIS bursts through the cloud) looks brand new. The form-up of the logo is vastly improved - it looks like a proper 3D modelled element this time, rather than a PNG from Google. Lends some credence to the theories that the version seen on the previous four episodes was rushed and unfinished...
[-] The following 5 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Reith85, RhysJR, Strange, Stuart, UTVLifer

Agree the title sequence is much improved. Still bugs me that the actors's names and logo appear a few seconds earlier than they would have in previous title sequences (below, the actors's names appear at 0:16, whilst by the same point in the music in the 2023 the actors's names have come and gone).

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

Without too much spoilers, noteworthy there was no cold opening into episode 1, but the cold opening of episode 2 makes up for it...

And I'm not sure why the main show uses the short Whoniverse ident. Surely that would be the ideal opportunity to use the full version.

[spoiler]
To the episodes themsleves: quite enjoyable! Space Babies wasn't my favourite ever, but followed a similar style of the other RTD series openers in not being a major plot.

The Devil's Chord on the other hand was quite something. Maestro was quite and played really well by Jinx Monsoon. Surprised The Beatles were in it so little, but not sure how they could have been more involved with how the premise of the episode developed. Plenty of story arc being layed down for the future as well! The musical number at the end felt quite superfluous, but can easily be glossed over if one was not a fan of it (I might leave the episode before it on a rewatch).

Doctor Who Unleashed was also uploaded at midnight (well they were up at 3am when I looked for them). The first edition had a 'sneak preview of next week's episode' as has been standard in every episode of Unleashed thus far, which was a little pointless as that episode was already out. That episode also revealed that Lenny Rush was originally cast as a voice actor for that episode, but was then recast for a bigger part later in the series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • JamieD

(11-05-2024, 12:11 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Can someone give me a clue?

I have both Disney+ and iPlayer. The witching hour has passed and there is no Doctor Who ..... Confused

EDIT: I can see it my laptop but not my TV. OK transferred to my TV and surround sound. FABness!

I thought Disney+ in the UK won't have Doctor Who on it, we will have the iPlayer and BBC One
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • UTVLifer

That's correct. iPlayer in the UK, RTE Player in Ireland, Disney+ everywhere else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • UTVLifer

So much exposition at the start of the first episode. I guess it's because they're expecting a lot of new viewers through Disney+, but it just came across cringeworthy.

(11-05-2024, 03:38 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That's correct. iPlayer in the UK, RTE Player in Ireland, Disney+ everywhere else.

It’s not on the RTE Player in Ireland. I mean, maybe it will be at some point, but right now only the 2023 specials are there.

(11-05-2024, 11:16 PM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s not on the RTE Player in Ireland. I mean, maybe it will be at some point, but right now only the 2023 specials are there.

To add apparently it will be there “later this summer”, presumably long after the BBC and Disney+ have shown it to the rest of the world. This is why PVRs are still a necessity.

x.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AndrewP, RhysJR, Stuart