Doctor Who

A bit ridiculous the BBC listings refer to this as "Season 1". Every other show on the BBC, including US series, are referred to as "series" not "season".

(01-05-2024, 09:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bit ridiculous the BBC listings refer to this as "Season 1". Every other show on the BBC, including US series, are referred to as "series" not "season".

The series which aired in 1963 is also officialy known as Season 1. In this case, that would be to differentiate from Series 1 - which aired in 2005.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, Happy2001

I personally call the Disney+ era Season 1 that starts next week Series 14, as it is the 14th series of the revived series.

It makes it less confusing for me, especially given that as of next Saturday, between the original series and the revived series, there's going to be 40 overall series/seasons of Doctor Who.
[-] The following 2 users Like JosiahStuart's post:
  • DJ Dave, UTVLifer

It's stupid that there's three different show listings on the BBC website. 1963-1996, 2005-2022, 2023-present, they're all the same show. They never actually cancelled it, it was always said to be on hiatus. It might have made sense to call the 2005 season "series 1" for the benefit of newcomers, but to renumber again is a daft decision right out of a comic book publisher's playbook. They should perhaps use a different comic book strategy instead. When they're not relaunching as a new #1 to boost sales, a lot of comics use what's called legacy numbering (or at least display it on the cover alongside current series numbering) - the numbering as if the book had never relaunched with a new #1 at any point. In Doctor Who's case, that would make it 26 classic + 13 modern = 39 total seasons up to 2022 (the 1996 TV movie and the 2009 and 2023 specials don't count as part of any season), so the new season... is Series 40. A notable figure itself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • JosiahStuart

Doctor Who fans will want to watch Match of the Day tomorrow night 😅
[-] The following 1 user Likes ScottishTVGuy's post:
  • RhysJR

(03-05-2024, 10:25 PM)ScottishTVGuy Wrote:  Doctor Who fans will want to watch Match of the Day tomorrow night 😅

So that's what Ian Wright will be up to after he leaves Match of the Day!!

Well, I didn't have that on my Bank Holiday Bingo Card. A quick skit interrupting the title sequence, the TARDIS whizzing through some old MotD clips before settling on a quick scene with Gary Lineker, a cybernetic Ian Wright and Ncuti Gatwa - who may even have been in character, but it was such a whirlwind of surrealism I can't remember! They only ruined the illusion slightly by running the real titles immediately after the 'fake' ones... There was nothing to signpost it in advance and it was barely mentioned afterwards - very odd.

Edited to add - for what it's worth, yes, he's explicitly playing the Doctor here which means this is arguably a canonical scene? Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • RhysJR

(03-05-2024, 10:25 PM)ScottishTVGuy Wrote:  Doctor Who fans will want to watch Match of the Day tomorrow night 😅

Here's the clip 😂😂

Jimmy Hill, Kenneth Woolstenhome, hologram Ian Wright and a cyborg Gary Lineker. Quite the mash-up.

x.com 

I bet Doctor Who fans would lose their sh*t if Match of the Day hijacked the opening minutes of the "season" premiere next week.

(04-05-2024, 11:03 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I bet Doctor Who fans would lose their sh*t if Match of the Day hijacked the opening minutes of the "season" premiere next week.

Or some audio of Graham Norton from BBC Three...
[-] The following 9 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, Happy2001, Juicy Joe, MorganLamia, News Engineer, RhysJR, Strange, UTVLifer