Happy Birthday Dave (a potted history of the channel)

Sorry mods.. but thought I'd give a heads up that GOLD is celebrating its 30th birthday, 1st November. Some interstitials recreating known British comedy moments and the idents referencing GOLD's first logo/four legged friend.

3.20pm onwards
[-] The following 13 users Like dbl's post:
  • Andrew Wood, Clean Feed, ConorM98, DeMarkay, fanoftv, Happy2001, Jeff, Kojak, London Lite, Ma76, Rex, Roger Darthwell, TVenthusiasm

I remember many years going to an event at the BFI Southbank on TV promotion and design. Charlie Mawer was the on the panel explaining the rationale behind the rebranding.

The target audience was men who missed being able to go to the pub with their mates. And, of course, everyone knows somebody called Dave.

In an industry where many are sceptical about marketing and branding, he really did regard the rebrand as a textbook case study of how to turn around perceptions of a channel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omnipresent's post:
  • benzj

It seemed a bit of a wierd name at the time, my thoughts were “well, UKTVG2 is the worst channel name in the history of television, so Dave can’t be any worse”. It turned out to be a branding classic, executed brilliantly, “the home of witty banter” indeed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • DE88, insert_good_username_here

(31-10-2022, 09:06 AM)Rdd Wrote:  “well, UKTVG2 is the worst channel name in the history of television, so Dave can’t be any worse”

UKTV Bright Ideas + 1 would like a word.

A week from today, it's bye bye chalkboard. The decorators will be in...

(02-11-2022, 08:34 PM)dbl Wrote:  A week from today, it's bye bye chalkboard. The decorators will be in...

Any hints at what’s to come? As far as TV brands go, Dave has one of the strongest identities going so it’s interesting to see what’s next.

Is 2022 the year of the rebrand? BBC One, BBC Three, BBC Four, ITV (soon), Channel 4 and Dave, as well as probable others I'm forgetting.
[-] The following 7 users Like tomo359's post:
  • benzj, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, KyleToons, Ma76, Superman1986, TVenthusiasm

It'll be a refresh, something slightly different compared to past packages.
[-] The following 4 users Like dbl's post:
  • Happy2001, London Lite, Ma76, thomash79

It's only one year out of its 7 year rebrand cycle. That would just love Gold needing to be updated.

(02-11-2022, 08:43 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  It's only one year out of its 7 year rebrand cycle.  That would just love Gold needing to be updated.
Gold will probably get a similar facelift. I’m surprised Eden hasn’t been updated yet. 

I wonder how far away UKTV are from moving all of their channels to FTA. Seems like the direction they’re going, with W moving to Freeview and UKTV Play upgraded to HD.
[-] The following 2 users Like F4C's post:
  • Ma76, Superman1986