Channel 4 News

Yes sorry to confuse! The Leeds studio at launch was temporary. They’re moving to the permanent space Tuesday. GIR remains the same.
[-] The following 3 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Superman1986

(28-04-2023, 06:07 PM)W1ll Wrote:  Anyone know whats happening with the studio in GIR? Will the set still be in there or is the set being striked?
That set in Studio 6 at GIR is also used for the 'Andrew Neil Show' (with some modifications).

Oh so I didn’t imagine it I did see a channel 4 news sign when I was walking through Brewery Wharf but it was empty and the sign looked like it was there for years.

I think they will use it about as much as they use their current Leeds studio for presenting the programme.
But I would suspect you will see it used much more by Ciaran Jenkins in his new data role.

From the bits I have seen it looks like a major upgrade from what they currently have. I don't know of any plans for GIR - but the new Leeds studio is similar in style (but a bit of an evolution) so wouldn't rule out any changes in the medium to long term.
[-] The following 3 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, UTVLifer

I don't see Channel 4 leaving GIR, especially considering they signed a new contract with ITN to continue to provide Channel 4 News.

In a way, both Channel 4 News in Studio 6 at ITN and the ITV News in Studio 1 at ITN are in real need of a refresh by now.

The design of Studio 6 has actually remained largely the same since it launched in 1999, of course with changes to the set, lighting, colours etc, but the basic look has remained unchanged, with that nice atrium view. Maybe tweaking the colour scheme and lighting, a new desk etc is all that is need to freshen up Studio 6.

(29-04-2023, 07:42 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I don't see Channel 4 leaving GIR, especially considering they signed a new contract with ITN to continue to provide Channel 4 News.

In a way, both Channel 4 News in Studio 6 at ITN and the ITV News in Studio 1 at ITN are in real need of a refresh by now.

The design of Studio 6 has actually remained largely the same since it launched in 1999, of course with changes to the set, lighting, colours etc, but the basic look has remained unchanged, with that nice atrium view. Maybe tweaking the colour scheme and lighting, a new desk etc is all that is need to freshen up Studio 6.
Not knowing the ‘geography’ of that building, I have no idea if this is possible - but I’d love it if ITV could make a real version of their current set (so have it actually backing on to the control room). As I said, I have no idea where the control room actually is in relation to the studios/newsroom, so don’t know if this idea is at all feasible.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak, Stuart

That set in Leeds certainly does look rather nice.

I don't mind windows when the view isn't at ground level, with people in the street outside gurning through the glass. I was pleased to see that Newsnight have recently removed the blinds in 54D, so that we get to see the view again.

I'm guessing it's at a new location then rather than just a new set (as the previous set also had a similar window view). Agree the set is very nice but really don't think a bulletin presented from two locations is bringing viewers a better product and ultimately this is an enforced political exercise which ultimately is of little benefit to the viewer, although I guess of some benefit in offering employment opportunities in Leeds. And as they have the set it's better they use it than have it sat there most the week unused, although practically using GIR in the week and Leeds at the weekend might make more sense.

(02-05-2023, 08:54 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I'm guessing it's at a new location then rather than just a new set (as the previous set also had a similar window view).  Agree the set is very nice but really don't think a bulletin presented from two locations is bringing viewers a better product and ultimately this is an enforced political exercise which ultimately is of little benefit to the viewer, although I guess of some benefit in offering employment opportunities in Leeds.  And as they have the set it's better they use it than have it sat there most the week unused, although practically using GIR in the week and Leeds at the weekend might make more sense.
I suppose if nothing else, they have somewhere decent to broadcast from if and when the studio at GIR is ever refitted. Or (this is probably much less likely) when ITV finally revamps their studio, they could move into C4’s set and C4 can come from Leeds for a weekend.