American News Presentation

The vast of the majority of stations within in the vicinity of the zone of totality and on the fringes had local coverage in addition to the network coverage. Many of CBS, NBC and ABC and FOX Affiliates including the independent stations in :
San Antonio TX
Austin TX
Little Rock AR
St Louis MO
Memphis TN
Indianapolis IN
Ft Wayne OH
Chicago
Cincinnati OH
Dayton OH
Columbus OH
Toledo OH
Detroit MI
Buffalo NY
Rochester NY

Many had a mix of coverage. For example the Chicago stations, which was outside the ZT carried the network coverage and then shunted their local coverage to their 24/7 streaming channels with the exception of the big indie stations like WGN.

So the coverage was quite extensive.

In Canada CBC News Network carried live coverage for the 30 minutes it took to trek across Canada;s most populated region. Coverage on Global TV was only on their streaming News channel. CTV did a mix of national and local coverage. CP24 and CityNews 24/7 provided live coverage in the GTA as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • London Lite

(09-04-2024, 12:15 AM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  I love the way how more than one of the main US networks always covers a solar eclipse when one happens over there. I think the last time we had one in the UK (in August 1999), BBC1 was the only one of the 5 main channels to do national coverage! (I know Westcountry did their own coverage in the South West, the only ITV region to do so)

I remember Channel 5 doing special coverage as well as BBC1. Not sure how long their programme was, but I remember Kirsty Young having to quickly relocate indoors when it started raining - it featured in a documentary later.

ITN did live updates on the rest of the ITV network.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mark's post:
  • JACKLUFC1998

C4 did coverage too during The Bigger Breakfast.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • JACKLUFC1998, mark

CBS NEWS (Streaming) is changing its name to CBS NEWS 24/7 .

They will also be doubling the amount of live hours.

They will be adding a new late night news show called "CBS NEWS Roundup" at 1AMET., sometime later on too. I wonder if that will also be airing on the CBS stations replacing CBS Overnight News?

www.thewrap.com 

Edit: found the CBS news press release with better details
www.paramountpressexpress.com 

From April 22, America Decides will expand to 1 hour 5-6pm ET.
Primetime with John Dickerson will be rebranded as the The Daily Report with John Dickerson from 6-7pm ET , soon will expand to 90 minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like sky303's post:
  • Michael 18, mouseboy33

Well this is the 3rd rebrand from CBSN to CBS NEWS (streaming) to CBS NEWS 24/7. They are really seriously battling it out with NBC News Now and ABC News Live. CNN looks so stupid not resurrecting Headline News in a streaming capacity. They kept saying the audience dried up. Well maybe because they were doing it wrong after tinkering around with a tried and true formula that worked for decades. Now CNN looks like a wounded animal. The shuttered so many successful channels over the years Headline News, CNNfn, CNNSi, CNN Airport. CNNi and CNN Espanol are shadows of themselves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • xlalonce

I've noticed CBS doesn't have the same viewership on YouTube. During the afternoon NBC News Now is typically 8,000 to 10,000 whereas CBS gets around 1,000.

Just a guess. NBC News Now airs on the Network during the afternoons in some markets. So maybe because some viewers know they can watch it there as well. SO maybe they get a little bump. But thats just a wild guess .

CBS News 24/7 is a much better name than the current combination of 'CBS News' on-screen and sometimes 'CBS News Streamimg Network' verbally.

They definitely need to keep upping their game like this if they're going to seriously rival NBC News Now, which has gone from being an online start-up for a few hours a day to what feels like NBC's main, 'proper' news channel (at least on weekdays) in just a few years.

NBC News Now feels like it has a much better-defined schedule, with Morning News Now, then NBC News Daily, Meet the Press Now, Hallie Jackson Now and so on. On CBS it's just CBS News Mornings, then generic 'CBS News' for most of the day.

I like CBS News at weekends, thanks to them showing Saturday and Sunday Morning, which are both great shows - although it was better before they moved these later in the day.
[-] The following 2 users Like mark's post:
  • mouseboy33, xlalonce

Recorded from WPVI Philadelphia, Action News at 10 which is the female skewed newscast is interrupted for an ABC News Special Report on the death of O.J. Simpson.

youtu.be 

That handover - reminded of the time when *allegedly* (see Dirty Feed), a BBC presenter threw over to the newsroom with the words ''now with news of Margaret Thatcher's resignation, here's..."

Considering there's some debate on the Newsnight thread about covering Simpson's death, I'm reminded that even within the States at the time of the trial, ABC News - with Peter Jennings at the helm - devoted substantially less time to OJ, especially on World News Tonight (Jennings had developed more of a global outlook off the back of his time working overseas)

Some media analysts praised his approach - some of the notably more tabloid-driven journalists at the network (Cynthia McFadden etc.) noted Jennings was very uncomfortable covering the story.

And alas, as the LA Times notes in this piece, it ultimately cost him his ratings lead as Tom Brokaw and NBC gave it top priority and Nightly News began its long reign as the top of the Big Three.

www.latimes.com 

What didn't help Jennings, either (still one of the finest TV news anchors of all, IMO) was that during the car chase, both he and ABC fell victim to a 'Baba Booey' prank call from a Howard Stern listener.