Challenge TV

Challenge is to launch on Saorview on 1st February on channel 8 - thus being the second Sky channel to launch on the platform in less than 2 years.

rxtvinfo.com 

Noticed Challenge shows are being sponsored by Mecca Online Bingo, which I think is new.
[-] The following 4 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here

Challenge currently showing the 2002 version of Play Your Cards Right- don’t remember seeing this version before

(22-02-2023, 04:39 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Challenge currently showing the 2002 version of Play Your Cards Right- don’t remember seeing this version before

It's definitely been shown a few times in the last 10 years. I'm not a great fan of PYCR but this version is definitely worse.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

Yes, not new to Challenge.

The format PYCR was based on, Card Sharks, had its format changed in the US when it came back, so they had to follow those when the show was revived over here.

Might look more modern but that opening "pick a card" game wasn't particularly great. Plus you couldn't win a car either, though you could theoretically win enough to buy more cars than you knew what do with, not that anybody won anywhere near that amount.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • DE88

(22-02-2023, 06:12 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Yes, not new to Challenge.

The format PYCR was based on, Card Sharks, had its format changed in the US when it came back, so they had to follow those when the show was revived over here.

Might look more modern but that opening "pick a card" game wasn't particularly great.  Plus you couldn't win a car either, though you could theoretically win enough to buy more cars than you knew what do with, not that anybody won anywhere near that amount.

They were obligated to follow the same tweaks as the show it was originally adapted from? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Was that unique to PYCR or did other shows have to do that too?

Somebody will correct but I'm sure Thames were obligated to follow the changes of the American format in the 2002 series (the previous LWT run from 1994 onwards, Card Sharks was out of production but that incarnation was closer to the last used format).

IIRC the original 1980 show was (for that series at least) a more or less total transplant (even with handheld microphone) of the American show save for prize limits and what not.

Probably the most relevant thread to ask this in. Challenge are currently showing the early episodes of Bruce's Price is Right, and during this era, there's a woman sat on the bottom step of the audience stairs holding a clipboard with Yorkshire Television on the back of it. She's even got a name tag. Any idea what this woman's role was, and why it was in full view of everyone watching?

(22-02-2023, 04:53 PM)WillPS Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 04:39 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Challenge currently showing the 2002 version of Play Your Cards Right- don’t remember seeing this version before

It's definitely been shown a few times in the last 10 years. I'm not a great fan of PYCR but this version is definitely worse.

The format was butchered during this period. Contestants having to compete to actually make it to the main round.

Since when has Bullseye (original series, 1992), gone out with a Granada International (the purple anf pink G) endcap?