Challenge TV

Have they fixed the DOG issues yet? I'm guessing not.

(16-11-2022, 07:32 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Episode was copyright 1989 and had the "Central Production" animated endcap on it, so I know this series has been on Challenge before, as that's where I almost always see it!
The Central Production animated endcap from 1988 is still my favourite Central logo that i've seen.

It also used to be on original 1989 airings of Huxley Pig (Season 1 only) and Bangers and Mash as well IIRC.

(16-11-2022, 07:43 PM)rick Wrote:  Have they fixed the DOG issues yet? I'm guessing not.

Well on the mentioned Bullseye repeat it was still in the wrong aspect ratio even though the programme was pillar-boxed (Challenge has stopped airing stuff in 4:3 now, so pillarbox the archive material, which leaves the DOG on the black border).

But you can see other 4:3 programmes with DOG in the right ratio (but still on the black border), so...?

(16-11-2022, 07:08 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Okay, just flipped over to what looks like a later series of Bullseye (the online EPG guide suggests its the back end of Series 8) and its got the huge "New to Challenge" bug on it.  What gives?

I know they use this tag for stuff they haven't aired yet under Sky ownership but I'm sure they're aired every episode of Bullseye (bar maybe the one that had John Cooper in it) under Sky so,..?

That happens a lot. If it's something like Bullseye, The Chase, Family Fortunes etc etc, you can guarantee that they've been repeated on Challenge before as that's all they ever air. 

I'm pretty sure it's a case of leaving it on after something considered 'new' to them airs on the channel, either that or someone's f**ked with the graphics. On the day Dickinson's Real Deal premiered it had the 'New to Challenge' bug and after that, stayed on-air for like 4 hours. Wasn't like that before. Tongue

Could also be a case of Challenge's constant-hiatus' with a select few programmes, Bruce's Price is Right was off the schedules for a few months and then came back with the 'New to Challenge' bug, so they probably confused gaining back the rights to a complete new show altogether. But they have the bug on The Chase as well in occasions, which is weird because that's all they fill their schedules with.

Makes me wonder if they've put the bug onto the overnight poker-programs and Showbiz Darts they used to re-broadcast in the dead hours of the night. Highly unlikely but worth guessing.

'Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, don't fog my mind.'

Do you think US game shows like Let’s Make a Deal/Wheel of Fortune/Press Your Luck/ 25 Words or Less would work well on Challenge?

(17-11-2022, 10:33 AM)Tvfanboy Wrote:  Do you think US game shows like Let’s Make a Deal/Wheel of Fortune/Press Your Luck/ 25 Words or Less would work well on Challenge?

They showed Family Feud (not sure which years as such, but it was Steve Harvey hosting, which puts it as AFAIK after 2013). Don't think it lasted very long.

With regards to Deal, apparently we had a go at this in 1989, but it only lasted 12 episodes:
ukgameshows.com 

HTV had a stab at Press Your Luck in the early 90s, doing it on a budget of sod all it would appear, apparently hoping the network would pick it up (they never did):
ukgameshows.com 

It would appear straight airing of American game shows doesn't really work over here; not withstanding the OTT celebrations every time somebody wins, well anything basically which gets irritating after a while (must be something in the water).

The US Wheel Of Fortune was shown on CBS Reality 4-5 years ago but it only lasted for a few weeks before being removed.

Weird. Of the shows mentioned a few posts ago, WOF is the one I thought might have actually worked, as the UK version was quite a long runner and therefore the format is well known, unlike the others with either didn't last long or were never brought over.

(17-11-2022, 11:32 AM)Happy2001 Wrote:  The US Wheel Of Fortune was shown on CBS Reality 4-5 years ago but it only lasted for a few weeks before being removed.

I also recall it being shown on CBS Drama (for some inexplicable reason).

'Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, don't fog my mind.'

Digiguide is showing that after the 1st episode of the 10th Series of Scrapheap Challenge on the 2nd December, it's weekday slot moves to 4am from the 6th with it's old slot showing Family Fortunes starting with Bob Monkhouse's era.