Challenge TV

Well we seemed to go through a period where thr Prime Minister would change before they even finished reading the question. Along with the disclaimer the questions will now often refer to a specific point in time so rather than simply asking "Who is the PM?" for example they'll ask "Who succeeded Liz Truss as PM in autumn 2022", partly I guess with them making sense during repeat runs in mind.

The Queen dying has messed up questions about hers to the throne too although outside repeats given how long some shows sit on the shelf they seemed to move on to framing questions around King Charles quite quickly.

I guess in this case as it seems to refer to Caroline Flack the original repeat airing went out soon after her death, or even the original ITV transmission was after (but programme recorded beforehand) so it was flagged in a way other questions relating to a late celebrity may not be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76

The show was from 2016, so it was several years before she died.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Ma76

(20-03-2024, 10:23 AM)Keith Wrote:  I assume this is partly why some programmes now state "Correct at time of recording" in the credits. Similarly questions often use "...as of month and/or year..." to cover themselves for being repeated. Pointless is an example that springs to mind as a programme which does both.

Indeed, the edition of Cash Trapped had questions in the vein of "as of January 2016..."

(20-03-2024, 10:23 AM)Keith Wrote:  I assume this is partly why some programmes now state "Correct at time of recording" in the credits. Similarly questions often use "...as of month and/or year..." to cover themselves for being repeated. Pointless is an example that springs to mind as a programme which does both.

Back in the 80s the chance of a repeat years down the line was probably so small you literally had questions come up like "Who is the current Foreign Secretary?", which is an actual example because they used that and similar on episodes of Bullseye, although as it turned out there's only four possible answers for that question anyway if you can work out how old the repeat is.

They did eventually change that and started the whole "Who ate all the pies in February 1991?" thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76

(20-03-2024, 08:07 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Back in the 80s the chance of a repeat years down the line was probably so small you literally had questions come up like "Who is the current Foreign Secretary?", which is an actual example because they used that and similar on episodes of Bullseye, although as it turned out there's only four possible answers for that question anyway if you can work out how old the repeat is.

They did eventually change that and started the whole "Who ate all the pies in February 1991?" thing.
Maybe not domestically, but Central went big on international distribution with their CTE division. I'm sure I remember reading that Blockbusters sold well overseas.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Ma76

Blockbusters apparently went down a treat in the UAE to the point where it was more than cult status. IIRC Bob Holness used to present something extra to the UK airings over there.

Though they never made a local version, they couldn't get enough of the UK version, so I suspect they were totally bummed when we stopped making it...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76

Looks like Challenge aren't going to be showing Series 5&6 of The Crystal Maze with Ed right away when Richard's run finishes, I assume on the Tuesday 2nd of April, with maybe 2 repeat episodes after that. 5 Gold Rings takes it's place on the Friday 5th April.

When they did those weird random 5am one off showings at Xmas last year, I think only the 1st episodes & Xmas episodes of Rick's series were screened.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

That's a shame - been enjoying these reruns and although Ed was no Richard O'Brian I'd still quite like to see those.

Ratings wise not sure how The Crystal Maze rates compared to what was previously in the slot but seems dumb to throw that audience away when you could keep them another month. And if they are switching it out for a Schofield format The Cube would've a much better chance of holding on to the The Crystal Maze audience.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, SuperSajuuk

They did show at least one special from the Ed era over Christmas, the first episode he did with Richard 'handing over the maze' and riding off on the motorbike at the beginning.

(26-03-2024, 08:58 AM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Looks like Challenge aren't going to be showing Series 5&6 of The Crystal Maze with Ed right away when Richard's run finishes, I assume on the Tuesday 2nd of April, with maybe 2 repeat episodes after that. 5 Gold Rings takes it's place on the Friday 5th April.

When they did those weird random 5am one off showings at Xmas last year, I think only the 1st episodes & Xmas episodes of Rick's series were screened.

I agree, hope the Ed series' come up soon, so people can see the whole thing from start to finish. Could just be a case that they need to go hunting for the tapes again, or just waiting to negotiate with the rights' holder to make sure they're still ok to broadcast them. As for the current episodes, they're being screened at a much slower pace of one episode per week on Sunday at 10am, so if you missed any of S1-S4, they've been making the rounds at that time, but thats obviously much slower paced than the daily episodes we've seen during the week.