BBC Local Radio

since the last rebrand, to make it fit with the "BBC Radio" masterbrand

A repeat of Garden Rescue is in place of local news this evening on BBC-1.

Interesting that quite a few stations have got their sports output on air. I wonder if that's because fewer sports journalists are NUJ members or because sports output isn't affected by the cuts?

(15-03-2023, 07:24 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Interesting that quite a few stations have got their sports output on air. I wonder if that's because fewer sports journalists are NUJ members or because sports output isn't affected by the cuts?

Local sport has been ringfenced from the cuts. As part of the proposals, LR will still opt-out of networking for sport.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • UTVLifer

Yes, I mentioned that in the post you quoted. But that doesn't meant that they wouldn't be part of a strike of all NUJ members working in English Regions. There are plenty of people who work across news and sport as well.

(01-03-2023, 07:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's about headlines though isn't it - striking on budget day, for the Coronatio or in the Eurovision week, is more likely to grab headlines than a random day in a random week.
Doesn’t look like this is the case, and those of us who said it was a strange day to pick were right

Very minimal mention of the strike action on Calendar, pretty much no mention on the ITV Evening News

Had it been a quieter day without the budget or without doctors and teachers strikes, it’s likely the regions and the national news would have featured the BBC strikes in the headlines and done full reports covering it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie

(15-03-2023, 08:04 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 07:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It's about headlines though isn't it - striking on budget day, for the Coronatio or in the Eurovision week, is more likely to grab headlines than a random day in a random week.
Doesn’t look like this is the case, and those of us who said it was a strange day to pick were right

Very minimal mention of the strike action on Calendar, pretty much no mention on the ITV Evening News

Had it been a quieter day without the budget or without doctors and teachers strikes, it’s likely the regions and the national news would have featured the BBC strikes in the headlines and done full reports covering it

Most LRs managed to put out normal programming today despite some stations networking or taking a pre-recorded show this morning.

Considering LR programming has become more music intensive and not so reliant on journalists except for the news bulletins, it's given the impression for normal listeners in the unaffected areas that it's largely business as usual.

The only noticeable difference on Radio London today was that they had a freelance journalist read the news as well as travel and weather.

(15-03-2023, 06:32 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Disappointing they have just thrown the towel in and aren’t doing any regional bulletins at all

I was hoping for some technically bad half baked bulletin read by a member of management who look like they are reading at gun point, that we’ve had previously.
I know, the days of ‘we must put something out at all costs’ seem to have gone. Partly I presume because with so few people now in the regions, if 10% don’t strike (for example) that’s a lot fewer left than it once was! 

On a huge news day though, I’m surprised they didn’t try and run an hour long 6 (with suitable opt point), although presume the London national teams may have said ‘no’.

Didn't they run an extended One Show last time, which regions crashed into when they ran out of material?

(15-03-2023, 08:04 PM)Andrew Wrote:  

I have seen criticism (indeed think it was from Clean Feed themselves) of the BBC not covering the BBC strikes when mentioning the other strikes going on.   I guess the trouble with local radio and TV is there isn't really flagship local events to target.   Perhaps the final day of the football season if they were to target the football commentaries, but I doubt those covering them are necessarily NUJ members anyway.