BBC Local Radio

Absolutely no mention of the strike either before during or after the Ten. There will be some viewers who won’t know what is going on and where their regional news is.

(15-03-2023, 10:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I have seen criticism (indeed think it was from Clean Feed themselves) of the BBC not covering the BBC strikes when mentioning the other strikes going on.

I wonder if that's a deliberate attempt to sidestep another BBC News impartiality row when this strike is over and tomorrow's 6.30s need to interview union reps in other sectors about the inconvenience their strikes have caused to the public?

After 6pm Radio London took a networked pre-recorded show from Coventry (CWR itself was live with the same presenter).

The late show on London was from Russell Walker who usually presents lates across Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

The South and South East locals had their usual late regional show with Paul Miller.

(16-03-2023, 01:12 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(15-03-2023, 10:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I have seen criticism (indeed think it was from Clean Feed themselves) of the BBC not covering the BBC strikes when mentioning the other strikes going on.

I wonder if that's a deliberate attempt to sidestep another BBC News impartiality row when this strike is over and tomorrow's 6.30s need to interview union reps in other sectors about the inconvenience their strikes have caused to the public?

Although ignoring it isn't impartial either.   It didn't need comment, just an inclusion in the round up of who was on strike that BBC local staff were included, impacting local regional news.    After all they sent out about 50 million alerts about Football Focus not airing at the weekend - and the regional news is generally the most watched show on the BBC each weekday, and rates better than MOTD too.

Interesting thread here from George explaining about most freelancers in BBC Local Radio and why a lot of talent will have no choice but to leave, even those who hold regular set shows on the schedule.

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

I think the BBC Management have made a massive error here.

I know they have tried to do this before a couple of years ago, but that was met with very strong opposition and I feel that the current proposals will fail as well.

I can see the BBC Management ending up doing away with the current plans if strikes continue.
[-] The following 2 users Like ConorW2000's post:
  • Ma76, UTVLifer

I've been quite surprised by how the various stations have handled the strike. Normally in this scenario, you'd expect neighbouring stations within a region to join together, but we had the strange situation yesterday when Radio Sheffield managed to stay local all day with their regular line up, but Leeds and York took semi-nationally networked fare (including Leeds taking the Jim Davis pre-rec two days in a row).

Is that local management, not being able to officially support the strike, doing the bare minimum to mitigate its effects, or could the talent at Sheffield have said "I'm not in the union so I can't strike, I'll come in and do my normal shift but I'm not prepared to cover for striking colleagues by being networked"

(16-03-2023, 01:55 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  Interesting thread here from George explaining about most freelancers in BBC Local Radio and why a lot of talent will have no choice but to leave, even those who hold regular set shows on the schedule.

twitter.com 
twitter.com 

I might be being a bit thick, but how can the BBC stop someone applying for a job to present shows on the network? Aren't the jobs open to anyone, not just those on staff already?

Yeah, if they banned freelancers from reapplying for their jobs, I think they must've broken a labour law?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • UTVLifer

It's possibly short sighted in terms of what they are trying to achieve, in that freelancers are easier to dispense with when you want to have a shake up of a station's schedule, people in staff roles have a tendancy to hang around.

But financially, if you are in a redundancy situation, if you can say goodbye to a freelancer and redeploy a staffer to that position you save a hefty redundancy payment.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • London Lite, Ma76