BBC Local Radio

So well BBC Radio Devon is starting to find out presenters who are leaving  David Sheppard is leaving he does the late night show which covers the wider South West but comes from Radio Devon:

radiotoday.co.uk 

on some of the comments on the facebook page of Radio Devon people were saying David Fitzgerald was also leaving but seems he was taken ill with heart issues on air after he was being told he was being made redundant?

www.dailymail.co.uk 

Sorry for the Daily mail coverage...

so any other BBC Local Radio stations be made aware of presenters leaving yet?

Not that I know of. But that story above is so sad. I hope David will be ok going forward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • TJTSW

According to posts on Twitter those presenters who haven't been successful have been told not to go public until the new schedules have been announced.

From what it sounds like the management have been handling it very badly - threatening outgoing presenters and staff with not being considered for cover work. In at least one case there is this, which is not allowed according to employment law:

twitter.com 

Whatever happens to Local Radio, even if the BBC u-turn now or in a years time massive damage is being done. They're losing lots of talent, audience and goodwill.... and that will never return. This is destroying local radio

(15-04-2023, 12:46 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Not that I know of. But that story above is so sad. I hope David will be ok going forward.
Going by that picture of him in hospital he could be a stand in for Mr Tumble  Big Grin

The whole thing can be summed up in the infamous words of David Fitzgerald in a previous radio gig: piss-boiling incompetence
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie, TJTSW

Is the cover work thing down to employment law too? You can't make somebody redundant then re-employ them within a set period of time for example?

Think this sums it up for anyone at the BBC on Local Radio or across the news..

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like TJTSW's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Stooky Bill, UTVLifer

Allan Beswick on BBC Radio Lancashire/Merseyside/Manchester has been very open for the past year that his contract is up at the end of May. He also said last week that 'whatever happens' he won't be doing the job this time next year, possibly indicating a year extension and then retiring.

[Image: sig.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheRealWB's post:
  • TJTSW

I don't know if this has been covered, Geoff Twentyman is retiring as sports editor, at Radio Bristol.

He will be a hard act to follow.
[-] The following 2 users Like ChrisE's post:
  • TJTSW, Toby brown

BBC Radio Humberside presenter David Burns is to leave the station, announcing his departure on Twitter after apparently being told that he 'won't be needed'. He has released the following statement:

www.twitter.com/bbcburnsy/status/1650424358517587969 

Reading between the lines he doesn't say that he is leaving, just that his daily show is ending.

He's part of the sports coverage and that is ringfenced from these cuts

(24-04-2023, 04:16 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Reading between the lines he doesn't say that he is leaving, just that his daily show is ending.

He's part of the sports coverage and that is ringfenced from these cuts

From BBC News article:

Katrina Bunker, BBC Head of Yorkshire, said the presenter "loves where he lives, and giving local people a voice".
"His fearless style means he's held local authorities to account and deservedly won a number of awards for his broadcasting over the years," she said.
"He'll be missed greatly by listeners when he leaves us in summer - but I'm sure he won't be a stranger."
She said the presenter "may well be back in the future in our sports coverage".