BBC Local Radio

Not surprising they've rejected it, just adding a couple of weekend shows doesn't make any difference to the awful proposals.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie, CATV

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Dadeki's post:
  • Jimbo2022, Roger Darthwell

Quote:A teary Jonathan Cowap paid an emotional tribute to his listeners as he left the BBC today after 34 years.

As part of the recent cost-saving measures, which has seen a number of high profile BBC local radio personalities exit, Jonathan paid farewell to his listeners on Thursday afternoon. Before playing out with ABBA’s song I Still Have Faith, Jonathan said: “Thank you for allowing me into your life for the last 34 years. Thank you for sharing so much over the years. Thank you for your kindness and generosity over the last week. Thank you for being my friend.”

Jonathan has been a prominent figure in North Yorkshire for decades. Elsewhere, he also spent four years with BBC Radio Humberside.

www.examinerlive.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dadeki's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Quote:BBC Radio Gloucestershire presenter Anna King, has decided to leave the BBC after 37 years.
She's been presenting from our Gloucester studios since 1990 and has held various on-air presenting roles since she joined.
Most recently, Anna has been fronting our 10am-2pm weekday show from Monday-Thursday for the last four years.
She'll be leaving the BBC later this year in July.
www.bbc.co.uk 

(09-05-2023, 08:14 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Not surprising they've rejected it, just adding a couple of weekend shows doesn't make any difference to the awful proposals.
Being sceptical/cynical I wonder if the BBC might reinstate a few more hours of local/regional programming once enough of the longer serving staff have taken voluntary redundancy and left. In theory the longer serving staff are likely to be paid more than newer staff and/or are on more generous older contracts.

If the cuts were that counties who had the same regional TV news shared radio programming it would be more acceptable. However, from the previous page it looks like the plan is for multiple regions to share, which feels like a much bigger stretch. Those might be fine for the 5-6am hour and acceptable for 10pm to 1am, the latter I gather is supposed to become a single UK feed.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • TJTSW

radiotoday.co.uk 

When this all shakes down, BBC Local Radio’s listening figures are going to drop like a stone

The older listeners won’t take to the younger presenters playing more modern music’ and not having the same easy listening Ken Bruce/Tony Blackburn style of broadcasting, and whatever the BBC do there is no way enough younger listeners will tune in to replace them

That’s before you even factor in that half the programmes are going to be regional rather than local

I’m sure the BBC a will manage to spin the figures some way by mentioning key demographics or some worthy causes the stations have supported
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • TJTSW

Although arguably if people choose local radio over national radio then chances are they'll choose regional radio over national radio too if that's the key factor in their decision. If it's the host then it'll come down to the quality of the replacement.

I think the bigger issue is there is actually no attempt to broaden the appeal of local radio to younger listeners. For all the pain Radio 2 (and R1 for that matter) go through every decade or two it does work to keep them relevant and continually replace a departing order audience with younger listeners.

In BBC Local Radios case though this feels like an awful lot of pain for pretty much no gain. It feels like destruction rather than future proofing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, TJTSW

I agree with the point about relevance - of all the BBC's services, Local Radio's got to be the most 'uncool' thing.

Younger audiences tend to judge the BBC on its merits - if there's a good/popular show on (Traitors, Eurovision, Race Across the World etc.) then they'll tune in, same with podcasts or events or news - but there's no loyalty like older audiences; it's not the default anymore so it's got to be attractive/appealing and there's no promotion or effort w/ local radio to do that - the most publicity it got recently is maybe the Truss interviews?!

So as a result *no one* I know listens to it - as much as people say that about the whole of the org., this part seems the most extreme.
[-] The following 2 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • benzj, Brekkie

The obvious thing is for local BBC Radio to target the service towards displaced radio 2 listeners.

Perhaps then they could get away with doing even more networking and you could have kept ‘Steve Wright in the Afternoon’ on air in England as long as they kept local news and the ability to opt out for big local stories.