BBC Local Radio

Solent and Channel Islands sounds like it was already on three stations

(03-08-2023, 07:32 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Solent and Channel Islands sounds like it was already on three stations

That's two different shows - Solent, and Channel Islands!  The latter is already on two stations but it's staying unchanged, not being merged into a larger regional show.

I always thought the BBC Introducing shows have always sat rather awkwardly as part of the local radio schedules. Clearly they have a strong public service value in helping to discover new music, but when broadcast on stations mainly serving an elderly demographic, they seem a bit of an odd fit.

I can’t imagine many hip, young musos tuning into especially to BBC Radio York for two hours on a Saturday evening to hear the latest local sounds. And equally, I can’t see many nans in Scarborough being that bothered either.

But then I also can’t think of a better solution to providing a platform for upcoming local talent.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Steve in Pudsey

Agree and that sums up the problem with BBC Local Radio. Nowadays though I suspect they've a better chance reaching the intended audience via BBC Sounds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Spencer

I think you're right that on Saturday nights the target audience is either out performing or watching gigs and probably get a bigger catch up rating than live. I guess they may get some audience retention from the sport coverage which does bring in younger listeners.

They're a bit of a hangover from the days when they couldn't do online exclusive content.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, Spencer

I do think that Introducing might be one programme that benefits from sharing, I wonder how easy some stations find filling 2 hours every week with new good local talent.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Spencer

(03-08-2023, 07:24 PM)Robert Williams Wrote:  Most of them will be shared, but seven of the existing shows (London, Manchester, Merseyside, Kent, Sussex/Surrey, Solent and Channel Islands) have been saved and aren't being merged into larger regions.

freshonthenet.co.uk  (not a confirmed list, but a 'best guess').
That list sounds wrong. Why would Humberside bother to start simulcasting York's programme if York's is itself being axed? And why do both Manchester and Liverpool keep theirs - they're in the same TV region so are a logical pair to merge.

(04-08-2023, 06:00 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That list sounds wrong. Why would Humberside bother to start simulcasting York's programme if York's is itself being axed? And why do both Manchester and Liverpool keep theirs - they're in the same TV region so are a logical pair to merge.
I can see the logic in Liverpool and Manchester both keeping their own programmes. They’re both large cities with strong individual music scenes and both with huge histories of producing many big bands and artists.

Whilst I don’t want to do down the place I live, we can hardly boast a wealth of musical successes here in North Yorkshire. Shed Seven and Utah Saints are probably the biggest ever acts from here (although the latter always said they were from Leeds because it sounded cooler than Harrogate!). So if mergers have to be made, I can understand them merging York with Humberside, which also doesn’t have a huge history of major acts beyond The Beautiful South.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie

(04-08-2023, 06:59 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I can see the logic in Liverpool and Manchester both keeping their own programmes. They’re both large cities with strong individual music scenes and both with huge histories of producing many big bands and artists.

Both Manchester and Merseyside are being spared from the deeper cuts - they're also retaining their own local Drive shows (along with Becky Want presenting the Sunday - Thursday late show from Salford)

Apologies if this is covering old ground but I think it's true to say a similar model's been in place for Radio Jersey and Radio Guernsey for a while now - local from 6-2pm weekdays, then joint CI programming for Drive, evenings and weekends.

Makes sense for the Channel Islands to have been sharing, they must be the smallest stations in terms of size of population so it's difficult to justify seperate schedules there. Although I believe they get one of the highest audience shares.

I knew London was being spared a lot of the sharing, but hadn't realised that Manchester and Merseyside were too, that's a change from the original plans isn't it. I know WM isn't sharing with some of its more rural neighbours.

Problem is if they exempt a few cities then why not all?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales