All4 to rebrand to Channel 4

(02-11-2022, 07:16 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah - no different to calling BBC News the BBC News channel to disambiguate it from the BBC News bulletins on BBC One, for example.
I don't know anyone (other than on here) who has ever referred to it as 'The BBC News Channel'.

(03-11-2022, 09:22 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 07:16 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah - no different to calling BBC News the BBC News channel to disambiguate it from the BBC News bulletins on BBC One, for example.
I don't know anyone (other than on here) who has ever referred to it as 'The BBC News Channel'.
I believe they are talking about on air references - e.g. "we're leaving you on BBC One, but coverage will continue on the BBC News channel".
[-] The following 5 users Like strollfan's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, JAS84, Ma76, orange

(03-11-2022, 10:05 AM)strollfan Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 09:22 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I don't know anyone (other than on here) who has ever referred to it as 'The BBC News Channel'.
I believe they are talking about on air references - e.g. "we're leaving you on BBC One, but coverage will continue on the BBC News channel".

Which, in turn, did bolster the references to the core brand. It certainly helped stem the tide of just referencing the news channel as 'News 24', which was becoming a mini-brand all of its own. 

The press release also has come interesting bits. New idents (tick), the 4 brand being much more prominent across all services (tick). I'll be interested to see how this works, for example, with Film4. Visually the 4 is a lot more present in their newish designs but interested where they take that. 

All in all, I can't say I'll miss All4. It was a nice idea but just never really took off.

All4 never really caught on. If you wanted to download the app or watch online, it was a case of searching for Channel 4. As long as they separate the channel from online, it shouldn’t be a problem.

I think most channels have struggled to establish a strong online brand, BBC iPlayer maybe being the only exception. ITV, Channel 5, the UKTV channels all don’t have such strong online brands- we’ll see whether ITVX changes anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F4C's post:
  • Rijowhi

(02-11-2022, 06:32 PM)Jon Wrote:  Yes, that’s not the issue, you may have the issue of them needing to call it ‘on channel 4’s streaming service’ when referring to it on linear which is a bit clunky although ‘stream now on Channel 4’ or ‘on the Channel 4 app’ might work.

There's also the converse problem - how do you label the live stream of the Channel 4 TV channel on the Channel 4 app/website? Presumably you can't just label it "live stream" as there will be multiple live streams of different channels, all seemingly to be under the Channel 4 master-brand - so maybe "Channel 4 TV live stream"?

(03-11-2022, 05:39 PM)sjhoward Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 06:32 PM)Jon Wrote:  Yes, that’s not the issue, you may have the issue of them needing to call it ‘on channel 4’s streaming service’ when referring to it on linear which is a bit clunky although ‘stream now on Channel 4’ or ‘on the Channel 4 app’ might work.

There's also the converse problem - how do you label the live stream of the Channel 4 TV channel on the Channel 4 app/website? Presumably you can't just label it "live stream" as there will be multiple live streams of different channels, all seemingly to be under the Channel 4 master-brand - so maybe "Channel 4 TV live stream"?

Presumably similar to the way they do already, under a live TV tab with the logo of each channel?
[-] The following 2 users Like strollfan's post:
  • orange, sjhoward

The spectacular failure to include the word "All" written anywhere in either of the two different logos that All4 has had is the primary reason why the name hasn't penetrated the consciousness of many/most folk.

When I corrected my sister for still calling it "4OD" in recent weeks/months, she clearly had no awareness whatsoever that it had ever been renamed at all (less still what its current name actually is).

Logos that don't actually sodding well have the full name written within them (or in an accompanying caption e.g. beneath/above/beside) will inevitably have that effect, and so I have never been a fan of such logos and consider them to be idiocy of the highest order.

See also the first ITV Hub logo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

The strangest thing I found is they promoted All4 as the biggest "free" streaming service, without mentioning that you can pay to remove the ads for £3.99pm which I've paid for the last few years.

(05-11-2022, 03:43 AM)London Lite Wrote:  The strangest thing I found is they promoted All4 as the biggest "free" streaming service, without mentioning that you can pay to remove the ads for £3.99pm which I've paid for the last few years.

The idea of a free streaming service is a bigger selling point than offering a £4 a month ad-free subscription. I can't argue with that approach at all. Compare that to the adverts for ITV Hub+, who insist you can "live your best life" by watching Love Island without ads...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • TVFan

I’d be interested to know how many pay for either of those. Surely it can’t be more than a couple of thousand.