Destination X - BBC and NBC Collaborate Again

deadline.com 
Web Image

In same way they worked to together to broadcast The Traitors. BBC and NBC will work together to simultaneously film both version. This relationship that is bubbling is quite interesting to see. Destination X is a Belgian reality show that both broadcasters saw as interesting format. It will be interesting to see if NBC will shunt this programme to Peacock instead of NBC itself. Plus it will be interesting to see the simliarites and differences of each version. Traitors for all intents and purposes looks the same for the most part. The casting/host and some other mild music editing choices aside...they arent too different. This will be interesting. I wonder how closely NBC and BBC work together looking at global formats to collab on. It make so much sense, especially for production cost reasons. Use the same set ups games/competitions and just film them twice with different casts.

variety.com 

www.bbc.com 

i.imgflip.com 
Web Image

I can see this being another Survivor, failing to impress.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Strange

Maybe so. But I suppose the interesting point being that the BBC and NBC working closely together to commission and simultaneously produce both versions at the same time. Besides The Traitors I cant think of another show shot like this. I wonder if we will eventually see a co-production that reduces costs further and features combined casts from both countries. With money being tight in TV land, maybe we are possibly heading that direction. Seems that could possible, just with slight editing choices to fit each Network taste. Just an interesting development.
If you think about it Traitors UK and US production wise overall are so similar.

The Circle was initially shot like that too when the UK and US versions overlapped.

TBH several shows are - they have international bases which see multiple countries film on one site and share a common on ground production team, supplemented by producers attached to the broadcaster in each company. Survivor, I'm a Celeb, Wipeout and Fear Factor are noteable examples but it's also been happening with studio shows much more with Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune filming Aussie versions on the UK set, whilst the US filmed Celebrity Lingo here and a few shows in Ireland and Australia too. The BBC filmed That's My Jam in the US and The Wall in Poland.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • mouseboy33

IIRC there were a few international versions of The Cube shot in the UK (one of the audience ticketing sites were trying to lure people along to the Saudi version with £20 of travel expenses), and a friend saw a French version of Pointless made in TV Centre, though it may have just been a pilot. I think one of the US versions of Bake-Off was made in the UK tent too.

I don't think it's as much a case of the commissioning broadcasters collaborating, just the production company able to offer to make another version for less money by sharing resources.

Pretty much all the latest versions of the US Bake-Off have been shot in the UK (the early series was shot in US). Sharing shooting locations is becoming so commonplace its not usual.

Well if you read the article seems the relationship seems a bit different than just using the same set or Location. The US version of Im A Celeb was shot in the same set as the UK version. Drag Race Mexico, Germany and another verison were all shot in Columbia on the same set.

Regarding the Circle all Netflix and Ch4 versions were shot in Manchester. USA, Brazil, France and UK. The latest Netflix version has been relocated from Manchester to Atlanta.

Set collabs are nothing new. But i cant remember the last time there has been a joint commissioning by a major commercial US network with a foreign channel like this. PBS does seem to do joint commissions (PBS Masterpiece and BBC & ITV work closely together quite a bit) Seems to be an interesting relationship developing. Bears watching I think.

Yes, fair point that is slightly different in entertainment at least, though joint commissioning very common and indeed pretty much the norm now when it comes to drama. Broadcasters not fully funding projects though is probably why we're seeing things like this happen - it's likely it was provisionally commissioned independently initially but with the condition another broadcaster was bought in to bring down the costs.

What is unusually in this situation, especially for a new format, is the broadcaster chose the production company rather than a production company coming to the broadcaster with the company. I think even in the case of formats picked up from abroad it's usually a local producer rather than broadcaster who would pick up the format then try to sell it.