Newsbeat

Newsbeat from The Mailbox officially begins from Monday

twitter.com 

I quite like the new branding, it launched a few weeks ago with a special edition of the programme with the Prince and Princess of Wales...

twitter.com 

... a nod to the Radio 1 branding, but very much its own design to sit alongside 1Xtra and the Asian Network.

(03-11-2022, 08:50 PM)CATV Wrote:  Shame Radio 1 and Newsbeat are no longer together.  They use to have good face to face banter.  Guess this is the new era of the BBC and we have to get use to it.
I have to agree, this is probably the most depressing thing about all of this, not the fact that they moved to Birmingham, but the fact that the face to face banted will no longer exists, and for what......only because there is too much stuff in London? It's ridiculous

No disrespect to Birmingham, but it's an odd decision to separate Newsbeat from both the rest of BBC News and Radio 1.

As ever with these moves, the BBC lost some good people like Christian Hewgill in the process.
[-] The following 2 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • James, Roger Darthwell

It’s one of those decisions that is ‘peak BBC’

Newsbeat will gradually feel more and more detached from the rest of Radio 1 as it will become the case that the DJ has never even met the newsreader, and vice Versa
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(03-11-2022, 09:26 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  No disrespect to Birmingham, but it's an odd decision to separate Newsbeat from both the rest of BBC News and Radio 1.

As ever with these moves, the BBC lost some good people like Christian Hewgill in the process.

It seems especially weird considering they’re moving Newsbeat to a building that the Beeb are leaving in four years. Surely they should just wait until the new Birmingham facility is ready, but then again this is the BBC that we’re talking about - the team that decided on Newsbeat’s move probably had no idea that The Mailbox was being vacated.

(03-11-2022, 09:31 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s one of those decisions that is ‘peak BBC’

Newsbeat will gradually feel more and more detached from the rest of Radio 1 as it will become the case that the DJ has never even met the newsreader, and vice Versa

I don’t listen to Radio 1 much these days, but I can’t say I recall much interaction between Newsbeat and the DJs in the past..?

Interaction must be limited because bulletins are shared across Radio 1, 1 Extra and Asian Network. In addition presumably all three networks will have shows coming from outside London - Radio 1 already do. Asian Network might have some as well. 

In terms of timing they clearly had space at the Mailbox and this has freed space up at NBH allowing Wogan House to be vacated so it makes sense to do it now even though the studios will be moved again.

(04-11-2022, 07:03 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  Interaction must be limited because bulletins are shared across Radio 1, 1 Extra and Asian Network. In addition presumably all three networks will have shows coming from outside London - Radio 1 already do. Asian Network might have some as well. 

In terms of timing they clearly had space at the Mailbox and this has freed space up at NBH allowing Wogan House to be vacated so it makes sense to do it now even though the studios will be moved again.

I think Asian Network are moving to Birmingham too?

(04-11-2022, 11:16 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  
(04-11-2022, 07:03 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  Interaction must be limited because bulletins are shared across Radio 1, 1 Extra and Asian Network. In addition presumably all three networks will have shows coming from outside London - Radio 1 already do. Asian Network might have some as well. 

I think Asian Network are moving to Birmingham too?

That rings a bell. Did it start life in Leicester and then move to London?

(04-11-2022, 01:36 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(04-11-2022, 11:16 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  I think Asian Network are moving to Birmingham too?

That rings a bell. Did it start life in Leicester and then move to London?

Yeah, Radio Leicester did some really pioneering work, right the way back into the 70s and 80s, before 'The Asian Network' (if memory serves) came along in the late 80s as a dedicated strand of broadcasts and then the growth into a dedicated station and its blossoming with DAB. 

Asian Network is indeed moving to Brum. It's had 'production centres' there for ages but it ties things up a bit now.