rmc.bfmtv.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • London Lite, Medianext.MX, Roger Darthwell

(22-02-2023, 08:00 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  M6 has retained their FTA channel

rmc.bfmtv.com 

Phew! That was close!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • Medianext.MX

As mentioned previously, the fact there was another bidder for the '6' license has meant M6/RTL have had to up their game with improved home grown programming for the next ten years.

Personally I would have liked to have seen a new broadcaster in that slot, but M6 have the opportunity to improve their output.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(22-02-2023, 08:06 PM)London Lite Wrote:  As mentioned previously, the fact there was another bidder for the '6' license has meant M6/RTL have had to up their game with improved home grown programming for the next ten years.

Personally I would have liked to have seen a new broadcaster in that slot, but M6 have the opportunity to improve their output.

Why you would have liked to see a new broadcaster instead of M6? This makes me wonder if M6 as a broadcaster has a poor reputation in France
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(22-02-2023, 08:25 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 08:06 PM)London Lite Wrote:  As mentioned previously, the fact there was another bidder for the '6' license has meant M6/RTL have had to up their game with improved home grown programming for the next ten years.

Why you would have liked to see a new broadcaster instead of M6? This makes me wonder if M6 as a broadcaster has a poor reputation in France

It reminds me of the Channel 5 era under RTL and Richard Desmond. Largely downmarket, reliant on reality formats and US imports.

There are of course exceptions, but I'm hoping M6 will use their commitment to provide programming that is more than what they're doing now.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Medianext.MX, Roger Darthwell

(22-02-2023, 08:30 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 08:25 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Why you would have liked to see a new broadcaster instead of M6? This makes me wonder if M6 as a broadcaster has a poor reputation in France

It reminds me of the Channel 5 era under RTL and Richard Desmond.  Largely downmarket, reliant on reality formats and US imports.

There are of course exceptions, but I'm hoping M6 will use their commitment to provide programming that is more than what they're doing now.

As I mentioned previously, M6, even with its downmarket output, has a pretty good reputation with French audiences. In 2012, a Télé-Loisirs (equivalent of the TV Times) survey placed M6 at the top of viewer loyalty.

www.leblogtvnews.com 

M6 is also regarded as the most profitable of channels, and more recently a "to-go" channel for sports; currently, the 10 most watched shows in the channel's history are all football matches (with the record being for the Euro 2016 final, which M6 broadcast exclusively).

After seeing the verdict, Xavier Niel didn't waste any time to put a quite sarcastic reaction on his Twitter:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(10-02-2023, 12:22 AM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  The license challenge race for Canal+ is underway. On Thursday's France Inter morning news programme Le 7/9.30, Nicolas Demorand and Léa Salamé interviewed French Minister of Culture Rima Abdul Malak, and announced that C8 and CNEWS' licenses are under review, and their licenses might be not renewed when these are up in 2025. The rationale of this is due to the many cases and fines given to the channel by the Arcom due to the controversial and politically-biased content aired on C8's evening access show, Touche pas à mon poste !, as well as CNEWS' shift to right-wing punditry and clash-ridden roundtable shows.

www.youtube.com 

www.ozap.com 

The Arcom hasn't still spoken out on the situation, but CNEWS wasted no time on taking its own sides on the situation:

www.ozap.com 

Arcom's president Roch-Olivier Maistre has finally spoken out on the possible non-renewal of C8 and CNEWS' frequencies. CNEWS does "strictly respect politic pluralism". Really? However, meeting with Sciences Po students earlier this week, he strongly criticized Bolloré's increasing meddling on content and responded to Rima Abdul Malak, saying that if the frequency is not renewed, it has to be done in a gradual form and respecting Arcom's independence.

www.ozap.com 

(01-03-2023, 10:14 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  
(10-02-2023, 12:22 AM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  The license challenge race for Canal+ is underway. On Thursday's France Inter morning news programme Le 7/9.30, Nicolas Demorand and Léa Salamé interviewed French Minister of Culture Rima Abdul Malak, and announced that C8 and CNEWS' licenses are under review, and their licenses might be not renewed when these are up in 2025. The rationale of this is due to the many cases and fines given to the channel by the Arcom due to the controversial and politically-biased content aired on C8's evening access show, Touche pas à mon poste !, as well as CNEWS' shift to right-wing punditry and clash-ridden roundtable shows.

www.youtube.com 

www.ozap.com 

The Arcom hasn't still spoken out on the situation, but CNEWS wasted no time on taking its own sides on the situation:

www.ozap.com 

Arcom's president Roch-Olivier Maistre has finally spoken out on the possible non-renewal of C8 and CNEWS' frequencies. CNEWS does "strictly respect politic pluralism". Really? However, meeting with Sciences Po students earlier this week, he strongly criticized Bolloré's increasing meddling on content and responded to Rima Abdul Malak, saying that if the frequency is not renewed, it has to be done in a gradual form and respecting Arcom's independence.

www.ozap.com 

The ex-CSA still remains a toothless tiger. Violation of rules one after the other on the Bolloré channels yet they did nothing wrong apparently. Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • London Lite

Whilst the BBC has been delaying until now the launch of regional versions of its HD channels, France Télévisions is on it again: the broadcaster is planning to upgrade its TNT mux to allow the launch of two new and full-time Ultra HD channels using the more advanced HEVC Main 10 compression. According to the tender documents published yesterday by FTV (freely accesible but some elements require registration), there will be two channels: one which will offer a full upscaled simulcast of France 2 with native 4K event coverage when needed; the other will be used for supplementary event coverage, and will simulcast France 3 during non-event hours.

The channels' picture frame rate will be placed at 50fps, and will support the HDR10 codec. Audio will be AC3-capable at launch to support existing compatible TVs, but will upgrade to the AC-4 codec at a later stage. Both channels will be distributed in a new nationwide UHD mux using DVB-T2, with a bitrate of 35Mbps (16Mbps per channel, FTV will also offer a 12Mbps emergency feed); available also in the French territories. The roll-out of the new UHD mux will commence in September and is set to be concluded in time for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

www.appel-offres.francetelevisions.fr 

www.appel-offres.francetelevisions.fr 
[-] The following 2 users Like Medianext.MX's post:
  • Brekkie, London Lite

TV5Monde's new member Monte-Carlo Riviera TV has a new, definitive name: TVMonaco. The ad-supported state-owned channel will launch on September 1 at 19:15. Unlike Monaco Info, which operates in a shoestring budget, TVMonaco will feature a full schedule, mixing documentaries and non-fiction content (particularly focusing on royal events, lifestyle and luxury, and environmental issues) with daily local news and sports programming.

Many of the channel's shows will be available globally through TV5Monde, through an internal AVOD streaming platform, and through distribution to other channels; it plans also to produce its own scripted shows by the next two years. The channel will be headquartered on the Fontvieille Bay district, in a repurposed restaurant building.

www.monacomatin.mc  (paywall)

advanced-television.com  (free registration)

variety.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • Roger Darthwell