Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(30-03-2023, 06:32 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(29-03-2023, 01:02 PM)ALV Wrote:  With the merger happening in 5 days, I think it's about time the NaO officially moves to B. Hope this will be a permanent move...
And they returned to E today, so no permanency for now. I wonder if they will continue to use Studio E for News at One even after the new channel launches from C, in case they do not immediately start refurbising E. (They are still very vague about it.)

I imagine we weren’t quite right in predicting the timing of the move, but nonetheless the use of B on a few occasions was probably deliberate.

My guess now is that they have tried out the workflow of using B, on purpose, to make sure they are operationally ready to use B in the future (this was happening whilst E was still available, so they could always fallback to E if they had needed). Those test runs successfully concluded, they are now back in E but will be ready to move to B if/when required once work on the studio does start.

I’m now assuming that E will be available and still used for the One in the short term, but no other regular output. That gives the new merged channel a studio to move to at short notice if C breaks down, and even if this displaces the One to B they are ready.
[-] The following 5 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Ma76, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, xlalonce

For what it’s worth, the BBC News at One was in E again today - so it seems that we were probably right that E will continue to be used, for that at least, for a while.

Maybe until studio A is ready then they might start on E.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chud's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

At around 5 past two this afternoon, some audio from (seemingly) BBC World Service’s Newshour programme suddenly went out on the NC (presumably WN as well) and there was a brief pause as it seemed to confuse the interviewee, presenter Lewis Vaughn Jones, and the gallery!

Another strange switching error, but I do wonder if this may perhaps be due to all the experimentation of having more going on in the newsroom.

(31-03-2023, 02:15 PM)Chud Wrote:  Maybe until studio A is ready then they might start on E.
Is it confirmed that they will revamp A?

I assumed A wouldn’t get a revamp as it’s gallery is likely to be used for the opt-out feed (but it will be presented, as we’ve had confirmed) from the former weather balcony area - so A itself won’t be seen on screen.

Other programmes which have been produced in A in the past have also all moved elsewhere in NBH, so wouldn’t a revamp really be a bit of a waste.

From what I’ve read I thought A is currently have a refit. Think it was suggested as the reason why Newswatch is no longer coming from that studio.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chud's post:

Do we even know if E is really being updated or is it just our wishful thinking? The last inside info was that it's not gonna be used at all, if I remember right.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:

I thought there was some insider info that they did eventually want to revamp it and move the channel there, but had to wait until new finance was available.

In the meantime, C (not revamped) is going to be used - probably with the terrible “mock E” background!

However, all of this seems very unclear at the moment, even seemingly to BBC staff. All we really know is that we can expect C on the channel at 9am Monday (not E, as this week).

(31-03-2023, 02:23 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Do we even know if E is really being updated or is it just our wishful thinking? The last inside info was that it's not gonna be used at all, if I remember right.

I believe Martine Croxall tweeted saying they would return to E later in the year.
[-] The following 7 users Like chris's post:
  • bkman1990, ginnyfan, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, Ma76, oscillon, UTVLifer

(31-03-2023, 02:25 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I thought there was some insider info that they did eventually want to revamp it and move the channel there, but had to wait until new finance was available.

In the meantime, C (not revamped) is going to be used - probably with the terrible “mock E” background!

However, all of this seems very unclear at the moment, even seemingly to BBC staff. All we really know is that we can expect C on the channel at 9am Monday (not E, as this week).
For C come Monday, the least they could do is bin the hideous cheap and nasty mock E background and replace it with the marginally nicer newsroom loop they use on B.
[-] The following 4 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, Nutfield001, UTVLifer

Interesting thing about possible studio A refit and Newswatch move is that up till now IIRC it shared the gallery with Studio J aka the balcony.

It explains why Newswatch and Outside Source moved (breaking news team rehearsals) but still does not give the picture of how A will be used if J will be in a ready-to-become-busy state during the day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • UTVLifer
Thread Closed