BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(12-04-2023, 10:53 AM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  Sky have now rationalised the channel numbers, up in the nine hundreds, to complete the HD exercise.

rxtvinfo.com 

I don’t understand what the article means about the “formal addition of the previously hidden regions on Sky.”

I thought all BBC regions and nations on DSat had always been available on the EPG, with the exception of BBC One Nightlight for HD viewers.
[-] The following 4 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bkman1990, DavidV, interestednovice, Stuart

Spencer Wrote:I don’t understand what the article means about the “formal addition of the previously hidden regions on Sky.”
I'm not certain, but I think this refers to Glass/Stream, where you couldn't see the regions in the EPG, but if you knew the channel number you could ask for it.

Perhaps somebody with Glass or Stream could confirm?

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web
[-] The following 3 users Like Nick Harvey's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Spencer

(12-04-2023, 03:50 PM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  
Spencer Wrote:I don’t understand what the article means about the “formal addition of the previously hidden regions on Sky.”
I'm not certain, but I think this refers to Glass/Stream, where you couldn't see the regions in the EPG, but if you knew the channel number you could ask for it.

That is the case, the remaining BBC regional channels have been added to Stream/Glass for all viewers. ITV regions remain hidden with no access to STV.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice, Spencer

(12-04-2023, 03:50 PM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  

Exactly this. Previously the channels were there from 8001 onwards but you had to type the channel number in - you couldn’t scroll through or view them on the EPG. 

Strangely, they did all briefly appear on the EPG a few months ago before hiding again.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:

(12-04-2023, 01:57 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I don’t understand what the article means about the “formal addition of the previously hidden regions on Sky.”

I thought all BBC regions and nations on DSat had always been available on the EPG, with the exception of BBC One Nightlight for HD viewers.
They've always been there at 951+.

The BBC One Nightlight service is at 801, next to all the SD versions of the other 4 PSB channels in SD.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:

(12-04-2023, 08:09 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(12-04-2023, 01:57 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I don’t understand what the article means about the “formal addition of the previously hidden regions on Sky.”

They've always been there at 951+.

The BBC One Nightlight service is at 801, next to all the SD versions of the other 4 PSB channels in SD.
Oh so it is! It must have been a long time since I last flicked through that part of the EPG.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • interestednovice

On Freesat, there have been minor tweaks to service labels on a number of the BBC One HD regions. I know "BBC ONE Sth HD" has become "BBC ONE SthHD" (without the space) and it's a similar story on several others. "Lon HD" becomes "Ln HD" for example. Apparently this is due to compatibility issues with the length/character width of the old labels, on some devices. They still look a bit of a mess but I suppose there's no elegant solution.

The most elegant solution, really, is to simply drop the area descriptor and just have “BBC One HD” as the name for all of them, at least on the primary listing. Maybe still have the regional labels up in the high numbers regional list part of the EPG to help tell them all apart!

This wouldn’t appeal to geeks or the BBC though, who would rather make it obvious which version you were watching. Having said that, I don’t get some of the region names at all. Shorter is better, and simple is fine. “NW” for North West, for example; “SE” for South East. The strange truncating the BBC have adopted in places is not easily digestible.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406

There is a limit on the number of characters the Sky boxes have in their channel names as well. 14 characters I believe for Sky+HD boxes.

You haven't seen Channel name truncating in action until you see some of the meal offerings Sky Cinema does when themed channels popped up - "Sky Cinema Pirates of the Caribbean" for example - try squashing that into 14 characters Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

Is the HD suffix necessary? Presumably the channel is flagged as HD whether the name includes it or not.
[-] The following 2 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • Brekkie, interestednovice