BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

The domain freeplay.co.uk  is available, perhaps everyoneTV should consider purchasing it. View would be associated with an aerial and sat with a satellite dish but you could introduce a secondary brand to each platform and build the free relationship in consumers minds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • interestednovice

(05-05-2023, 10:45 AM)Pete Wrote:  Is the 12 char limit something that could be fixed with a software update or is it the case it'll only end when the Sky+ HD boxes are finally retired from the estate?

Its more to do with the amount of space on the EPG on the left hand side. Too many characters and it'll just overlap the EPG contents. It probably can be removed, but I suspect its legacy.

Not sure if the same principle applies to Sky Q which has a different interface. From what I've seen of it seems to be happy to have long channel names that may scroll. The Sky+HD boxes struggle to scroll smoothly based on what Sky have managed to retro add to them from Q layout wise, so I suspect its a case of if there's too much animation going on the box just won't be able to cope. Not sure what processors are in those things but as the latest box in that series dates from 2010, its probably nothing compared to what's around today.

That reminds me, everyoneTV is such a weak brand that makes no sense. Whatever brand they end up using for the platform, I hope they also use that for the platform-controlling company. It would make way more sense.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Stuart

They've been tinkering with the channel names on Freesat again. Since the regional HD launch, ours (South) has gone from BBC ONE Sth HD, to BBC ONE SthHD, and now to BBC ONE So HD. I gather a lot of the other regions have been similarly tweaked.
[-] The following 3 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice

(11-06-2023, 09:24 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  They've been tinkering with the channel names on Freesat again. Since the regional HD launch, ours (South) has gone from BBC ONE Sth HD, to BBC ONE SthHD, and now to BBC ONE So HD. I gather a lot of the other regions have been similarly tweaked.
BBC One “so HD”?

Very odd!

Why not just “BBC ONE S HD” instead? I’m sure that would actually be clearer than So, which as a word itself is not immediately obvious as a contraction. I would go with the following template wherever possible:

S = South
SE = South East
NW = North West
SW = South West
W= West
CI = Channel Islands

I’m not sure how the more awkward region names might fit in though!

Is BBC One Lon too long for London?

The SD version of BBC One is now showing a message in between programmes advising of its imminent closure - the audio from the trails can still be heard in the background though.

Wasn’t able to screenshot the caption, but the message is similar to the one shown in place of local news.
[-] The following 3 users Like jlmiller's post:
  • bkman1990, Jimbo2022, Ma76

(25-06-2023, 07:11 PM)jlmiller Wrote:  The SD version of BBC One is now showing a message in between programmes advising of its imminent closure - the audio from the trails can still be heard in the background though.

Wasn’t able to screenshot the caption, but the message is similar to the one shown in place of local news.

I wondered if that was going yo happen. Will try to record it. Thanks. Not shown before Antiques Roadshow. But I thought the news came immediately before 1900. So you would see the red slate then anyway.

I presume this us additional? Thanks.

(25-06-2023, 07:36 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  I wondered if that was going yo happen. Will try to record it. Thanks. Not shown before Antiques Roadshow. But I thought the news came immediately before 1900. So you would see the red slate then anyway.

I presume this us additional? Thanks.

They showed the slide on top of the programme trails just before Spy In The Ocean - so it might be fair to check in between programmes to see if it shows up.

(25-06-2023, 09:02 PM)jlmiller Wrote:  They showed the slide on top of the programme trails just before Spy In The Ocean - so it might be fair to check in between programmes to see if it shows up.

Right I see thank you.

And as the local news was much earlier it was not related to that so must have been intentional. Will keep an eye out for it. Thank you

Here is the second BBC1 SD Red Slate. Shown only once throughout Monday evening. No AD during this. Regular sound continued, but is an overlay which fades in, stays on screen static, then fades out again when BBC1 ident is shown for next programme..

[Image: 1c37138ieufh.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, thePineapple