BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

is "you do not need to upgrade your TV set" 100% true though. Thinking of people who are *still* using CRTs or very early or cheap LCDs without HDMI input. Earlier HD boxes did provide SCART outputs but modern ones don't, as far as I know.

(yes, I know HDMI to analogue adapters exist, but that's not exactly something you see in the nearest branch of Currys, and it is more complexity)
[-] The following 2 users Like i.h's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76

(27-06-2023, 09:06 AM)i.h Wrote:  is "you do not need to upgrade your TV set" 100% true though. Thinking of people who are *still* using CRTs or very early or cheap LCDs without HDMI input. Earlier HD boxes did provide SCART outputs but modern ones don't, as far as I know.

(yes, I know HDMI to analogue adapters exist, but that's not exactly something you see in the nearest branch of Currys, and it is more complexity)

I think what they are saying is you CAN use HD kit with any television providing you can use a set top box capable if being used with it 

But yes you are right. Many modern TVs do not have scart on them. 

The And message during the news says '...or TV' in the spoken message but that I don't think us on screen  The AD message is mire accurate on thus front but has never been changed since it's first appearance on 5 January 2023 and us technically out if date because all services ARE now HD and these SD feeds are legacy.

Are they not keeping one legacy nationwide SD stream in the short term at least?

(27-06-2023, 12:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Are they not keeping one legacy nationwide SD stream in the short term at least?
Looking back I believe the 'nightlight' SD service for satellite will close on in March 2024.

I guess the outcome of WRC-23 later this year in Nov/Dec will affect what happens with Freeview. I gather this is why the BBC have yet to renew the 'BBC B' / PSB3 multiplex, which currently expires in 2026.

Speculating, but possibly if the (remaining) Freeview spectrum isn't protected at WRC-23 the BBC might look to implement a nightlight service on it's SD channels within the next couple years, so that PSB1 could then be converted to DVB-T2 and the BBC move its HD channels onto that multiplex and allowing someone else to take over PSB3.

I dare say a nightlight SD service might been implemented on Freeview in the not too distant future. With PSB3 having recently been upgraded to support English regions it would arguably make sense when PSB1 is eventually upgraded to DVB-T2 for it to only support variations in the nations. For that reason I could imagine BBC One remaining on PSB3, regardless of whether the BBC owned that multiplex.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Former Member 406, Ma76

2nd slate has appeared today so far at

So appeared immediately after the local window. I now reckon it will appear more often going forward

(27-06-2023, 12:50 PM)Keith Wrote:  I guess the outcome of WRC-23 later this year in Nov/Dec will affect what happens with Freeview.
What is "WRC-23"?

(27-06-2023, 03:59 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  What is "WRC-23"?

World Radio Communications Conference
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite

(27-06-2023, 12:50 PM)Keith Wrote:  Looking back I believe the 'nightlight' SD service for satellite will close on in March 2024.

I guess the outcome of WRC-23 later this year in Nov/Dec will affect what happens with Freeview. I gather this is why the BBC have yet to renew the 'BBC B' / PSB3 multiplex, which currently expires in 2026.

Speculating, but possibly if the (remaining) Freeview spectrum isn't protected at WRC-23 the BBC might look to implement a nightlight service on it's SD channels within the next couple years, so that PSB1 could then be converted to DVB-T2 and the BBC move its HD channels onto that multiplex and allowing someone else to take over PSB3.

I dare say a nightlight SD service might been implemented on Freeview in the not too distant future.

And adding local radio to PSB 3 …..
alongside the other PSB in HD say 5 legacy PSB plus a national channel
But PSB 1 could go uk wide …. Saves 6 sets of coding and mux from being national.
But the politics and commercials are not straightforward
Let along the regulatory changes needed !
And I’m sure we would all appreciate BBC Scotland.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • Ma76

Considering they've no issues moving red button streams and entire channels "online" I see no reason why BBC radio on Freeview and indeed satellite moving forward can't just be the Sounds app.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Keith

wouldn't exactly release much capacity though, and it provides another avenue to fill in FM/DAB not-spots (isn't that why BBC local radio was put on Freeview?)
[-] The following 2 users Like i.h's post:
  • benzj, Ma76