BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(23-11-2022, 01:14 PM)gottago Wrote:  Press release here, the HD rollout will be completed on all channels by the end of April.

www.bbc.co.uk 

No suggestion on here that their planning on merging their DTT SD services into one channel, though I'm not sure why they've launched an info channel on Freeview for what is a fairly minor change for DTT (from a consumer point of view) that viewers would surely work out for themselves rather than stumbling on information channel in the depths of the EPG.

I suspect the DTT info channel is so they can say ‘check 777’ in publicity and people will get an answer regardless of publicity. I imagine it’s a small minority, but some folk might not even know if they’re on satellite or Freeview so a simple consistent message makes sense. 

Obviously won’t work on Virgin (unless they can get them to add it too!) and on Freeview sets that need rescanned (probably a fair crossover with folk that don’t know if they use Freeview and who never rescan!)

(23-11-2022, 01:14 PM)gottago Wrote:  Press release here, the HD rollout will be completed on all channels by the end of April.

www.bbc.co.uk 

No suggestion on here that their planning on merging their DTT SD services into one channel, though I'm not sure why they've launched an info channel on Freeview for what is a fairly minor change for DTT (from a consumer point of view) that viewers would surely work out for themselves rather than stumbling on information channel in the depths of the EPG.
On DTT there is a great change in that (transmitted) LCN 101 will carry your Local News etc in HD
(along with all the other programmes) and we woudl expect the same for Itv
and on a Freeview Play TV/STB  The LCN for BBC One  HD will be 1  ....BBC Two  will be 2   
and I imagine that the others PSB will do likewise .... and the SD versions will be elsewhere
This is due to a service called Channel List management CLM.

Unlike DSAT There is no extra bit rate required to Broadcast BBC one Regions HD 
there is no need to stop emitting SD from Mux1 /BBC A  or for that matter itv Ch4 C5 from Mux2/ D3&4 .
...... But if it did happen as per the Vaizey plan a lot of things would need sorting out - see my earlier posts

(23-11-2022, 06:40 PM)all new phil Wrote:  What’s the reason for the BBC One live stream on iPlayer still only being in SD now that HD streams exist elsewhere? You’d have thought they’d be the first to update.

I believe iPlayer still uses the satellite feeds for the live streams.

On the browser version, change the region to England for BBC One HD, on the tv apps, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales will give you BBC One in 720p.

HD Satellite Upgrade now shows this page.

Quote:Your regional version of BBC One SD will be replaced with a UK-wide version of BBC One SD.

So that probably means BBC One Scot/Wales/NI SD will also close during this period.

If they remove BBC Two NI and Wales SD during this period as well, the remaining services would fit onto a single DVB-S transponder, with the rest being converted to DVB-S2.

I’ve read through the press release, I absolutely think this is great decision.

I’ve had Sky Q so I’m fine, however I’ve got older relatives that rely on Freeview in SD only. I can’t see anything about BBC SD services closing on Freeview. I’m normally quite good at understanding the technical side of things.

From reading it it sounds like BBC SD will be further down the EPG, is the correct?

Thanks in advance

(27-11-2022, 09:55 PM)01tomki Wrote:  From reading it it sounds like BBC SD will be further down the EPG, is the correct?
It seems that BBC One SD will be a single English version, and most likely further down the EPG (in the 800s on Sky HD). 

Wales, NI and Scotland may well keep their own SD versions, but who knows?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • 01tomki

SD on DTT Freeview is not affected by the announcements…..
it’s just that BBC one HD will have regional programmes (as will itv HD)

its  on DSAT Sky/Freesat
where the BBC is removing SD BBCone regions to make them HD
And then making all BBC services on DSAT  HD only .
… similar go to HD only is/will happen on cable and IP as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • 01tomki

BBC One South HD is testing FTA on one of Sky's transponders since yesterday afternoon.

It's on the same transponder as BBC Two NI HD.

12168 V 27500 DVB-S2 QPSK

SID 1204

It has EPG data for BBC One South HD at the moment. However it is broadcasting RTÉ One HD FTA for now.

(01-12-2022, 05:00 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  BBC One South HD is testing FTA on one of Sky's transponders since yesterday afternoon.

It's on the same transponder as BBC Two NI HD.

12168 V 27500 DVB-S2 QPSK

SID 1204

It has EPG data for BBC One South HD at the moment. However it is broadcasting RTÉ One HD FTA for now.

It disappeared just after 10am this morning.

Catch me on:
Andover Radio: Weekdays from 7am-10am
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-10am
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob Francis's post:
  • bkman1990