BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(01-07-2023, 01:39 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I just love the 'rabbit ears' internal aerial on that TV. Tongue
With me it was the circular ones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Stuart

This is a very specific question, but I wonder if anyone has spotted the same thing. Watching BBC One South HD on satellite, occasionally there's a very subtle jump in the picture - almost like it repeats a frame or two. Has anyone else seen this? I haven't seen it on any other channel so I wonder if it's a fault in the broadcast chain somewhere. Not sure if it happens on any other regional version (South HD is on a different, Sky-owned transponder.)

Is it just before/after regional programming, or at random times during the day?

If it is around regional programmes it is probably the local gallery soft-opting ahead of their own broadcast (and then repeating the process in reverse with a soft opt back to network before leaving the circuit). This kind of routing change can cause a very small “blip” in signal.

You see it on the BBc News Channel at around 5:53am every morning, when Salford soft-opts and takes the feed ready to broadcast Breakfast in the UK while the global feed continues from London.

If that is not what it is, then it’s possible it’s a transmission fault or oddity with Sky’s transponder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Stuart

(01-10-2023, 01:47 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Is it just before/after regional programming, or at random times during the day?

If it is around regional programmes it is probably the local gallery soft-opting ahead of their own broadcast (and then repeating the process in reverse with a soft opt back to network before leaving the circuit). This kind of routing change can cause a very small “blip” in signal.

You see it on the BBc News Channel at around 5:53am every morning, when Salford soft-opts and takes the feed ready to broadcast Breakfast in the UK while the global feed continues from London.

If that is not what it is, then it’s possible it’s a transmission fault or oddity with Sky’s transponder.

Sorry, I should have said - it's not just around regional opts, it's at random throughout the day. But it's similar to the soft-opt "blip" you describe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • interestednovice

Some of us remember about 15 years ago the two frame glitch that occurred every junction as Red Bee inserted or removed the DVE for the squeezback......
In this case I feel that it is how the Sky coder (and may be the glue before it) is reacting to the difference between Red Bees timing and 27MHz clock and theirs .....
It could be it is hunting at a point that the frame stores dont like!
That could be a zone of only a few Microseconds ....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • interestednovice

(01-10-2023, 01:47 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Is it just before/after regional programming, or at random times during the day?

Salford don’t opt or take control for Breakfast. NC1 in London put them on-air. They’re a source into the Red Bee playout. 
The News Channel will also put Salford on-air (unless it’s an automated switch). 
Breakfast are in rehearsal from 0545. 
At Breakfast BBC London is a fed into Salford for the regional opts and therefore the sustain. So London don’t opt but the Salford gallery will broadcast them.
[-] The following 2 users Like JexedBack's post:
  • interestednovice, London Lite

I think what happens on the NC is that Gallery A in NBH takes the feed for the UK, and this happens like a soft-opt where a switch occurs at 5:53am or so, but it stays with the global feed until the end of the 5:30am bulletin. That gallery then plays out trailers and the NC countdown before cutting up Salford output at 6am. The programme then “runs through” Gallery A until the end, when once again they cut away and play trailers just after the “You’re watching BBC Breakfast, the time is 8:59”. The countdown is played again, they cut up the NC global feed and soft opt again before leaving the circuit.

BBC One playout handle it separately for BBC One, of course.

I just said “Salford opt” as a shorthand really, I hope it didn’t cause any confusion.

Anyway, it seems Technologist has worked out the real technical reason - as ever, a very knowledgeable and interesting technical post!
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, London Lite, Stuart

Forgive me for bumping this, but since today is the last full day of BBC SD transmissions at 28E, I thought I'd dig out an old Freesat SD box and take a look.

For those interested in what a typical G1 Freesat GUI looked like in 2008, here's a video:

Final Day of BBC SD services on Freesat
vimeo.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like lovinthetelly's post:
  • AndrewP, Jimbo2022, London Lite, nwtv2003, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

Thanks for posting this. I was hoping to do it but not able to. My SD Freesat only works in one television in the house because my new TV has no scart only composite fir legacy devices. So I was unable to record thus.

So a bug thank you to you fir this.

..and for good measure, here's an SD Sky box of similar vintage:

vimeo.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like lovinthetelly's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Jimbo2022, Josh, nwtv2003, Stuart