BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

Thanks for that. It's going to be an interesting next few months - particularly in January.

I would have thought Sky is only hosting BBC for a short time but it will be interesting to see what happens.

(17-12-2022, 12:22 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Thanks for that. It's going to be an interesting next few months - particularly in January.

I would have thought Sky is only hosting BBC for a short time but it will be interesting to see what happens.
I wouldn't be so sure of it, that BBC2 Northern Ireland has been there for a long while. I suspect there'll be some BBC overspill there for a while, at least until something else is closed.

That looks like a bit of an odds and sods transponder from Sky, its got a couple of BBC services, a couple of Channel 4 and a couple of ITVs

Yes and BBC2 NI was in 12.226H at one point too. We still do not know how this is going to map out.

The extra capacity is probably needed as long as the reduced SD lagacy service is running. The BBC currently only run 5 HD streams per TP, but they need space for 16 Streams (12x BBC One, BBC Two NI, Alba, Parliament, RB1).

The question is how many of the DVB-S transponders will remain for the legacy SD service and waht will happen to the radio services?

With one DVB-S TP they could run a UK wide minimal service of 7 channels (1, 2, 3/CBBC, 4/CBeebies, News and Alba or Scotland) and there would only be the need for one channel to be uplinked by Sky. If they decide to move the radio streams to DVB-S2 as well Sky would need to uplink two or maybe three channels, depending on what codec the radio streams will use (Do Freesat/Sky boxes support AAC audio?)
[-] The following 3 users Like ASnep's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Stooky Bill

(17-12-2022, 09:12 PM)ASnep Wrote:  The extra capacity is probably needed as long as the reduced SD lagacy service is running. The BBC currently only run 5 HD streams per TP, but they need space for 16 Streams (12x BBC One, BBC Two NI, Alba, Parliament, RB1).

The question is how many of the DVB-S transponders will remain for the legacy SD service and waht will happen to the radio services?

With one DVB-S TP they could run a UK wide minimal service of 7 channels (1, 2, 3/CBBC, 4/CBeebies, News and Alba or Scotland) and there would only be the need for one channel to be uplinked by Sky. If they decide to move the radio streams to DVB-S2 as well Sky would need to uplink two or maybe three channels, depending on what codec the radio streams will use (Do Freesat/Sky boxes support AAC audio?)

They have advised that SD boxes will lose access to the radio services when the SD channels close, so they must be moving to DVB-S2
[-] The following 3 users Like guineye's post:
  • ASnep, bkman1990, Ma76

(18-12-2022, 11:13 PM)guineye Wrote:  They have advised that SD boxes will lose access to the radio services when the SD channels close, so they must be moving to DVB-S2
When the SD services close, which is sometime in 2024
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • ASnep

And once in S2 you may get them in AC3 rather than MPEG2 but not sure yet if that will happen but I sincerely hope so.

AC3 us usually 384kbps in best quality. The MPEG2 ones are 128 160 or 192 kbps. Mono channels run at 64 kbps

BBC One South HD still seem to be testing on DSat, so I guess that confirms they will be the first English region to make the transition next month.

[Image: BBC-One-Sth-HD.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, IanJRedman, Jimbo2022

It will stay there now. The switch will likely be first but exactly what order is currently unclear.

(22-12-2022, 07:45 AM)Stuart Wrote:  BBC One South HD still seem to be testing on DSat, so I guess that confirms they will be the first English region to make the transition next month.

[Image: BBC-One-Sth-HD.jpg]

It's there for good, and nothing will change over Christmas - everyone locks everything down.

Whether it will be the first region to go live on the EPGs is a different matter. I suspect it'll appear with some of the other regions once they are on air. I don't think they'd want to make the necessary changes just for one region.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, Jimbo2022, Stuart