BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(23-12-2022, 07:36 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Recently signed up to Sky Stream. It’s great having the local news on BBC 1 HD, but Look North is definitely in SD still and on top of this, the national news looks to be broadcast in SD too. Is there a reason for this? Can understand the local news but not the national.

In the Midlands, you can tell when they have opted in as the picture goes to SD just before the start of the programme and the headlines. You can tell when they opt out as it jumps to HD and obviously the picture improves greatly. Hopefully for not much longer as aren't all studios getting a face-lift that is taking months not days/weeks.

(23-12-2022, 08:10 PM)Lester Wrote:  In the Midlands, you can tell when they have opted in as the picture goes to SD just before the start of the programme and the headlines. You can tell when they opt out as it jumps to HD and obviously the picture improves greatly. Hopefully for not much longer as aren't all studios getting a face-lift that is taking months not days/weeks.
Some of the current regional studio sets are going to look quite ropey in HD.   Rolleyes

Yes, Look East will look brilliant in HD(!)

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(25-12-2022, 12:43 AM)Josh Wrote:  Yes, Look East will look brilliant in HD(!)
SD has done them some favours by covering up the fact that it's clearly made of cardboard stuck together with some duct tape. Big Grin

I've also got better lighting effects with the Phillips Hue in my Kitchen and Lounge   Tongue
[Image: BBC-Look-East-23-12-22.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, Josh

I'm looking forward to seeing how Southampton holds up in HD. Even in SD you can tell the set has seen better days. The backdrop is visibly scratched in a few places.

(25-12-2022, 10:03 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I'm looking forward to seeing how Southampton holds up in HD. Even in SD you can tell the set has seen better days. The backdrop is visibly scratched in a few places.
Ian, have you been scratching it?   Big Grin

BBC2 NI HD will be added to EPGs on DSat on Thursday 5th January.

rxtvinfo.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like CCFG's post:
  • bkman1990, Jimbo2022

(27-12-2022, 12:47 PM)CCFG Wrote:  BBC2 NI HD will be added to EPGs on DSat on Thursday 5th January.
They certainly seem to be 'hitting the ground running' as early as possible in January with BBC Two NI.

Even if they only do one English region a week, it's still going to take until March to get through all of them. Better to do it that way, than risk it all falling over a week on Thursday because of some unforeseen bug.

(27-12-2022, 10:24 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(27-12-2022, 12:47 PM)CCFG Wrote:  BBC2 NI HD will be added to EPGs on DSat on Thursday 5th January.
They certainly seem to be 'hitting the ground running' as early as possible in January with BBC Two NI.

Even if they only do one English region a week, it's still going to take until March to get through all of them. Better to do it that way, than risk it all falling over a week on Thursday because of some unforeseen bug.
I assumed that it had been available for ages, but then I only saw it on that Sky transponder when it the appearance of BBC1 South was reported here. 

The regions and other new HD services won't appear one at a time, but one transponder's worth at a time. It's a big phased reshuffle of the existing BBC transponder space

(27-12-2022, 10:53 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The regions and other new HD services won't appear one at a time, but one transponder's worth at a time. It's a big phased reshuffle of the existing BBC transponder space
I was thinking more that they would test them one at a time, then when they have enough to fill a transponder (five or six channels), they would push the button to make them live on the EPG.

Then move on to the next lot, and follow the same process.

Perhaps I've over-simplifying things as I don't actually have a clue how it's done.   Tongue