BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

London Lite Wrote:Yes, Freesat launches first on Tuesdays, then SkyQ/HD on Wednesdays.
There seems to be a bit of confusion here.

The BBC are giving Monday 30th January for Freesat and Tuesday 31st January for Sky.

Then the remaining changes also on Mondays and Tuesdays.

See www.hdsatelliteupgrade.co.uk 

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick Harvey's post:
  • London Lite

BBC One East Midlands and East HD just gone live with two more SD channels relabelled to BBC One.
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, Spencer, Stuart

(01-02-2023, 11:31 AM)harshy Wrote:  BBC One East Midlands and East HD just gone live with two more SD channels relabelled to BBC One.
I've just noticed they've popped up on the Sky EPG and the labels look rather messy and squashed.

What's wrong with

[*]BBC One E HD
[*]BBC One EM HD

People will know it's their region. I am hoping that my region just shows as 'BBC One SW HD' in two weeks.

[Image: Sky-EPG-01-02-23.jpg]

(01-02-2023, 01:51 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(01-02-2023, 11:31 AM)harshy Wrote:  BBC One East Midlands and East HD just gone live with two more SD channels relabelled to BBC One.
I've just noticed they've popped up on the Sky EPG and the labels look rather messy and squashed.

What's wrong with

[*]BBC One E HD
[*]BBC One EM HD

People will know it's their region. I am hoping that my region just shows as 'BBC One SW HD' in two weeks.

[Image: Sky-EPG-01-02-23.jpg]
Perhaps this is a temporarily naming to make it clear for engineers and viewers that these are the new HD channels.

Arguably once all BBC One SD channels have been closed except for Nightlight there is less of a need for the channels to include 'HD' in their name. The HD channels could have the "HD" removed to allow the names to be tweaked on the EPG (e.g. "BBC One Sth HD" to "BBC One South"), with the remaining SD channels having "SD" added at the end (e.g. "BBC One SD").

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Stuart Wrote:I've just noticed they've popped up on the Sky EPG and the labels look rather messy and squashed.
The problem goes back to the Beeb's insistence on calling it BBC One. Going back to BBC 1, or even BBC1, would solve most of the problems.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web

(01-02-2023, 01:51 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I am hoping that my region just shows as 'BBC One SW HD' in two weeks.

The entry in the Freesat Test EPG indeed got it as 'BBC ONE SW HD' (all the soon-to-be launched BBC HD channels got re-added there yesterday). For some reason the 'ONE' gets capitaliseds on Freesat and Sky gets 'One', but the other bits of the labels have been the same across the two. So it will likely show up as 'BBC One SW HD' on Sky.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ASnep's post:
  • Stuart

(01-02-2023, 02:09 PM)on every platform.Keith Wrote:  Arguably once all BBC One SD channels have been closed except for Nightlight there is less of a need for the channels to include 'HD' in their name.  The HD channels could have the "HD" removed to allow the names to be tweaked on the EPG (e.g. "BBC One Sth HD" to "BBC One South"), with the remaining SD channels having "SD" added at the end (e.g. "BBC One SD").
Arguably, all other broadcasters should have to do the same, otherwise BBC channels would just look like an inferior 'non-HD' service, which rather defeats the whole objective.

All ITV1 regions are just labelled as 'ITV1 HD', but they don't have a commitment to show them all seperately on an EPG on every platform.

Talking of other broadcasters, I would imagine the BBC's HD satellite changeover will be being watched closely by others. I'd be surprised if we didn't see several following suit in the near future allowing either some money saving by reducing transponder space used by SD simulcasts, or an opportunity to upgrade some current SD only services to HD.

I'd agree that the BBC is surely the breaking of the dam, especially once they switch off SD entirely at some point next year - no one else has the same "pull" to get viewers to upgrade. Especially with Sky promoting Sky Q as a free upgrade to any remaining SD subscribers too, which would imply Sky perhaps have made it a goal to get rid of their own SD channels. I gather the number of Freesat SD users is near enough non-existent so won't be a consideration.

The ending of SD is being driven by Sky, they have target to end all SD content, although when by I don't know.

The BBC weren't the first to start the process, ITV cut down its SD regions on satellite a couple of years ago