BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(20-02-2023, 10:49 PM)London Lite Wrote:  BBC London used a SD sourced graphic earlier.

[Image: 2023-02-20_19_30_BBC1_Regional-News-and-...56_509.jpg]

Was their a competition to see which designer could use the most variations of BBC Reith on a graphic?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • Former Member 406

BBC Three has just shuffled to LCN 115 on my Sky EPG.

So it's all done. Lovely.  Tongue

The first page of my favourites now makes sense.
[Image: Sky-EPG-22-02-23.jpg]

Something I noticed earlier… I’d missed the start of the News at One on BBC One Yorks HD, so followed the prompt on Sky Q to watch it from the start, which then opens the programme in the iPlayer app.

As was mentioned in another thread, this now only happens in SD because the iPlayer streams still aren’t HD. But for some reason, it started playing the news from the North East & Cumbria feed. So it seems that someone’s got the settings mixed up somewhere as to which BBC One HD channel relates to the according iPlayer stream.

(20-02-2023, 10:05 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 10:01 PM)dvboy Wrote:  what?

I think he meant "Weather on North West is SD at the weekend too." Not sure where Jim got "birth" from North, but autocorrect is a funny thing sometimes.

I think we'll probably be seeing a lot of scraps of "SD" elements until we eventually do get a proper fully standardised HD BBC One.

I thought the upscaling of the Nottingham based forecast on North West Today earlier wasn't bad.

[Image: 02_22%20-%2013_30_00%20-%20North%20West%...50_600.jpg]

[Image: 02_22%20-%2013_30_00%20-%20North%20West%...21_662.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman

Newcastle took Keeley Donovan from Leeds and that didn’t look good, anything from that Leeds base looks poor upscaled.

So which regions are actually produced AND broadcast in HD?

Presumably there's a fair few that'll now have HD cameras, even HD galleries, but somewhere down the chain there's an SD bottleneck needing upgraded?

(obv this is ignoring tatty sets needing done up, just thinking in terms of actual tech)

(23-02-2023, 09:43 AM)Pete Wrote:  So which regions are actually produced AND broadcast in HD?

Presumably there's a fair few that'll now have HD cameras, even HD galleries, but somewhere down the chain there's an SD bottleneck needing upgraded?

(obv this is ignoring tatty sets needing done up, just thinking in terms of actual tech)

As far as I know:

London
Salford (North West)
Plymouth (South West)
Southampton (South)
Newcastle (North East & Cumbria)
[-] The following 3 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, Jimbo2022

(23-02-2023, 10:26 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 09:43 AM)Pete Wrote:  So which regions are actually produced AND broadcast in HD?

As far as I know:

London
Salford (North West)
Plymouth (South West)
Southampton (South)
Newcastle (North East & Cumbria)

I know we typically get excited about the technical stuff, but I have to admit; purely as a watcher, it is a lot better being able to watch BBC One on the one channel, as opposed to the channel switching we have done for about a decade.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, Stuart

If they've an HD gallery and studio then they'll have an HD video router and an HD production work flow, then there's nothing else stopping it's programme from going to air in full HD. 

All the lines from the regions to the areas that handles distribution have been HD capable for a good few years.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, Pete, Stuart

(23-02-2023, 06:30 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I know we typically get excited about the technical stuff, but I have to admit; purely as a watcher, it is a lot better being able to watch BBC One on the one channel, as opposed to the channel switching we have done for about a decade.

Which I believe was the purpose of the exercise, to get rid of the red screen of death. HD news opts are a much lower priority.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, London Lite