BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

(19-02-2023, 12:51 PM)DTV Wrote:  It's live in the newsroom. Glass panelling wasn't installed in N9 until 2004.
Originally I believe that access to the presenter's position at the desk was even through a gate within the metal barrier.

I can't find the picture of it, I think it had been removed at some point, although this is a picture (from a later nostalgia report) which clearly shows there is no glass screen between newsroom and presentation area.

[Image: news24-N9.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • The Decimator

The “gate” you refer to can still be seen during the above clip of presenter Keshini Navaratnam who was, in that clip, presenting from the secondary desk, with the newsroom view behind her. The gate and clasp can be seen at Keshini’s left (right of shot as we look at it).

The main desk, for stranded programmes, is actually directly opposite that small island desk, with hard wall set.

(19-02-2023, 01:33 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 12:51 PM)DTV Wrote:  It's live in the newsroom. Glass panelling wasn't installed in N9 until 2004.
Originally I believe that access to the presenter's position at the desk was even through a gate within the metal barrier.

I can't find the picture of it, I think it had been removed at some point, although this is a picture (from a later nostalgia report) which clearly shows there is no glass screen between newsroom and presentation area.
Yes, many of the sets in N9 were so tight that presenters had to get onto set via a gate behind the desk - in fact his continued into the cream and red era. Indeed, you can see it to Nisha's right on this picture of the second cream and red set.

[Image: nisha-pillai-on-the-set-of-bbc-world-new...9QbS-ufpI=]
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • oscillon, Stuart, The Decimator

I visited N9 in 2001, 2003 and 2004 and remember going through the gate to get on to the set. Here are a few snaps from over the years:

[Image: The%20BBC%20World%20Studio%20-%20Image%201.jpg]

[Image: The%20BBC%20World%20Studio%20-%20Image%202.jpg]

[Image: The%20BBC%20World%20Studio%20-%20Image%204.jpg]

[Image: N9WN.jpg]

[Image: SpToday.jpg]

[Image: TheWorld.jpg]

[Image: Stephen%20Cole%20d%202.jpg]

The BBC4/The World set was directly opposite the main news set, basically where Stephen Cole is looking in the image above. The Sport Today set was to the left of the BBC4 one. Pre-2000, the sets were the opposite way round, so the main flags era set was where Stephen Cole is looking and the small news desk set is a bit further to the right of where Stephen is sitting.

Hope this makes sense. It was very cramped from what I can remember. The most striking thing looking back is how there was absolutely no disabled access to the news set.
[-] The following 10 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • chaose, JamesWorldNews, Jeff, Kojak, Newsroom, oscillon, Steve in Pudsey, Stuart, The Decimator, TVFan

(19-02-2023, 01:33 PM)Stuart Wrote:  [Image: news24-N9.jpg]

Looking back, I can't believe that was a news set, it wouldn't have looked out of place on something like Going Live
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Newsroom

(19-02-2023, 02:11 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 01:33 PM)Stuart Wrote:  [Image: news24-N9.jpg]

Looking back, I can't believe that was a news set, it wouldn't have looked out of place on something like Going Live

I think it was intentionally an extreme overreaction to the allegedly cold, austere and stuffy presentation of BBC1/2 bulletins at the time. I remember it being said that focus groups criticised the 'virtual era' presentation which of course led to the May 1999 rebranding exercise.

(19-02-2023, 02:34 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 02:11 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Looking back, I can't believe that was a news set, it wouldn't have looked out of place on something like Going Live

I think it was intentionally an extreme overreaction to the allegedly cold, austere and stuffy presentation of BBC1/2 bulletins at the time. I remember it being said that focus groups criticised the 'virtual era' presentation which of course led to the May 1999 rebranding exercise.

Also, wasn't it (BBC News 24, as it was then) originally launched with an ethos of being a television version of BBC Radio 5 Live? That was the whole explanation for the whole relaxed casual just shirts and ties and no jackets look that went around with that whole first flags era before the move to N8.

Compare with these sets of images from TV Live for what a world of difference a year makes in a channels existence.

Jane Hill in N8.
[Image: 994.jpg]

Although, in this image from back overnight in to N9. The much missed Alastiar Yates sports a waistcoat.

[Image: bbcnews24_1999_20jun_13.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • The Decimator

Finally found this nugget of the Sunday edition of the 'Ten O'Clock News' coming from BIG MOIRA's desk on the then 'Breakfast' set on the evening after the bomb went off at BBC TVC. 

I can't recall what the studio was called.

[Image: breakfastbomb.png]

At 6.23 in the Youtube clip - A live with David Eades who was an Ireland Correspondent back then.

https://youtu.be/AAeh_tY1uC0
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • JamesWorldNews, Kojak, The Decimator

(07-03-2023, 05:22 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Finally found this nugget of the Sunday edition of the 'Ten O'Clock News' coming from BIG MOIRA's desk on the then 'Breakfast' set on the evening after the bomb went off at BBC TVC. 

At 6.23 in the Youtube clip - A live with David Eades who was an Ireland Correspondent back then.

I believe that is TC7 if memory serves.
[-] The following 2 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • chris, Newsroom

(07-03-2023, 05:22 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Finally found this nugget of the Sunday edition of the 'Ten O'Clock News' coming from BIG MOIRA's desk on the then 'Breakfast' set on the evening after the bomb went off at BBC TVC. 

I think you’ll find it’s BIG MOIRA in bold font.
[-] The following 4 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • AaronLancs, Newsroom, Stuart, The Decimator