BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

(07-03-2023, 05:22 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Finally found this nugget of the Sunday edition of the 'Ten O'Clock News' coming from BIG MOIRA's desk on the then 'Breakfast' set on the evening after the bomb went off at BBC TVC. 

I can't recall what the studio was called.

[Image: breakfastbomb.png]

At 6.23 in the Youtube clip - A live with David Eades who was an Ireland Correspondent back then.

https://youtu.be/AAeh_tY1uC0
VERY surprised to see Sarah Montague doing the Ten (even if it was a Sunday). Don’t think she did many network bulletins, did she? She seemed to be mostly hidden away on Breakfast and 24 until joining the Today programme.

(07-03-2023, 08:05 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 05:22 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Finally found this nugget of the Sunday edition of the 'Ten O'Clock News' coming from BIG MOIRA's desk on the then 'Breakfast' set on the evening after the bomb went off at BBC TVC. 

I can't recall what the studio was called.

[Image: breakfastbomb.png]

At 6.23 in the Youtube clip - A live with David Eades who was an Ireland Correspondent back then.

https://youtu.be/AAeh_tY1uC0
VERY surprised to see Sarah Montague doing the Ten (even if it was a Sunday). Don’t think she did many network bulletins, did she? She seemed to be mostly hidden away on Breakfast and 24 until joining the Today programme.
No, she was a Network presenter for a while. She didn't do a 1, 6 or weekday 10 as far as I can remember but she frequented weekends for a while.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • Kojak, Rolling News

She also presented Newsnight at least once, as I've seen a clip on Youtube
[-] The following 1 user Likes excel99's post:
  • Newsroom

She also did Breakfast.

youtu.be 

I recently stumbled upon this clip of an afternoon summary, presented by a youthful Huw Edwards in the virtual set (and Bill Turnbull reporting from Cuba!)

www.youtube.com 

(nb. stop after the weather if you'd rather avoid seeing Rolf Harris)
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, The Decimator, TVFan

Her notorious "four coffees" incident was on Breakfast I think?

(08-03-2023, 02:17 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Her notorious "four coffees" incident was on Breakfast I think?

As seen here...

youtu.be 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 5 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Kojak, Newsroom, Rolling News, Stuart, TVFan

(08-03-2023, 07:56 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  She also did Breakfast.

youtu.be 

I'd never really given any thought as to how similar that part of the studio was to the predecessor Breakfast News. The weather position is in the same relative position as it was before.

(08-03-2023, 02:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 02:17 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Her notorious "four coffees" incident was on Breakfast I think?

As seen here...

youtu.be 

Call me sad but it looks like this clip is from the same day, so we can date this incident to 30th October 2000.

www.youtube.com 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(08-03-2023, 08:38 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 02:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  As seen here...

youtu.be 

Call me sad but it looks like this clip is from the same day, so we can date this incident to 30th October 2000.

www.youtube.com 

Sounds about right to me - I remember it happened very soon after the launch of Breakfast which had happened at the start of October. I seem to recall that Sarah Montague was phased out in favour of Sian Williams in early 2001.