BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

25 years ago today, after Iraq continued to obstruct the work of UNSCOM weapons inspectors, the allies launched a series of airstrikes code-named Operation Desert Fox. The assault began about 9:50 PM GMT. Here is how the BBC reported on the news
BBC News 24 reported on the startof the operation
www.youtube.com 

BBC One News Report just after the end of One Foot in the Grave
www.youtube.com 

Further coverage on BBC News 24
www.youtube.com 

That evening's Newsnight on BBC Two
www.youtube.com 

And finally BBC News 24 coverage up until midnight
www.youtube.com 

One could say with this early coverage of Operation Desert Fox. How fortuitous it was of BBC News 24 to launch when it did and for a major story to occur in only its second year of operation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(16-12-2023, 03:26 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  One could say with this early coverage of Operation Desert Fox. How fortuitous it was of BBC News 24 to launch when it did and for a major story to occur in only its second year of operation.
Alternatively, you could say the channel narrowly missed out on two of the biggest UK stories of the decade (1997 election and death of Diana) by a matter of months.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, DE88, Jeff, Roger Darthwell, Transmission

(16-12-2023, 04:40 PM)DTV Wrote:  Alternatively, you could say the channel narrowly missed out on two of the biggest UK stories of the decade (1997 election and death of Diana) by a matter of months.

Hadn't thought of those two events. Even the Beeb had to give a glimpse of BBC World to UK viewers when the death of Diana happened. One can clean forget things that get lost in the midst of time.
[-] The following 4 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AndrewP, DE88, DTV, Roger Darthwell

(16-12-2023, 04:40 PM)DTV Wrote:  Alternatively, you could say the channel narrowly missed out on two of the biggest UK stories of the decade (1997 election and death of Diana) by a matter of months.

I believe it was those two events which led to the launch of the BBC News website. Temporary sites were launched for both before BBC News Online officially launched
[-] The following 5 users Like JLav25's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, DTV, Roger Darthwell, xlalonce

Again, sorry for the double post.

A further thought on this. One could indeed say it was launched at the right time as the shirtsleeves and tie look wouldn't have fit an election and most certainly a station having to go straight into obituary mode. If the look proved controversial as it did. Imagine the roasting of having to try and 'smarten up' when a major figure in British life and indeed world life at the time had just died.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(16-12-2023, 06:38 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  I believe it was those two events which led to the launch of the BBC News website. Temporary sites were launched for both before BBC News Online officially launched
Yes, that and budgets from 1995 and the 96 Olympics were effectively the pilots for BBC News Online, which then launched the same week as News 24 (the projects being strongly linked, even sharing the flags branding). I suspect they would have wanted to launch the channel for the election, but it wouldn't really matter as very few could watch until the launches of DSAT and DTT in autumn 1998.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(16-12-2023, 06:52 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, that and budgets from 1995 and the 96 Olympics were effectively the pilots for BBC News Online, which then launched the same week as News 24 (the projects being strongly linked, even sharing the flags branding). I suspect they would have wanted to launch the channel for the election, but it wouldn't really matter as very few could watch until the launches of DSAT and DTT in autumn 1998.

Gosh I'd forgotten about BBC News Online sharing the flags branding. In fact, ISTR that even during the red and cream era after the website had received a rebrand, if you found an old article it retained the flags branding. I'm sure I've not made that up!
[-] The following 1 user Likes itsrobert's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(16-12-2023, 08:28 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Gosh I'd forgotten about BBC News Online sharing the flags branding. In fact, ISTR that even during the red and cream era after the website had received a rebrand, if you found an old article it retained the flags branding. I'm sure I've not made that up!

I believe some of them still do!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Here’s a whole section on the Clinton impeachment from the flags era..
news.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like Rxtx's post:
  • AndrewP, itsrobert, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News