BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

(16-12-2023, 09:14 PM)Rxtx Wrote:  Here’s a whole section on the Clinton impeachment from the flags era..
news.bbc.co.uk 

Thanks! Yes, that's the branding I remember! Seems like eons ago now of course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes itsrobert's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

Here's another website story from 1999, using the red and cream branding

news.bbc.co.uk 

I think the fact that BBC News Online stories keep their original branding is true of pretty much all stories until the 2010 relaunch, isn't it?
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

From 25 years ago today, BBC News reports on the impeachment of Bill Clinton
www.c-span.org 

Today is the 35th anniversary of the Lockerbie bombing, the explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 which killed 259 people onboard the aircraft and 11 people on the ground, so here is coverage from the BBC
First newsflash
www.youtube.com 

11:45pm BBC News bulletin
www.youtube.com 

Further news report on BBC Two
www.youtube.com 

BBC News update on Lockerbie before closedown
www.youtube.com 

(21-12-2023, 12:15 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Today is the 35th anniversary of the Lockerbie bombing, the explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 which killed 259 people onboard the aircraft and 11 people on the ground, so here is coverage from the BBC
First newsflash
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

And here's BBC Breakfast Time from the following morning.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes BN88's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(16-12-2023, 06:52 PM)DTV Wrote:  Yes, that and budgets from 1995 and the 96 Olympics were effectively the pilots for BBC News Online, which then launched the same week as News 24 (the projects being strongly linked, even sharing the flags branding). I suspect they would have wanted to launch the channel for the election, but it wouldn't really matter as very few could watch until the launches of DSAT and DTT in autumn 1998.

The Politics 97 site is, remarkably, still online:
www.bbc.co.uk/politics97 

Its predecessors, the pages from the 95 and 96 budgets and the 97 election were still accessible until a few years ago, and there's a bit of a write-up of them here:

www.currybet.net 

Another elderly survivor is the pages of On the Record, which includes transcripts of their interviews right back to 1992
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • DE88, Stuart

And the OTR site is proof that even in 1997 they couldn't get the corporate/directorate logotype correct!

(21-12-2023, 12:15 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Today is the 35th anniversary of the Lockerbie bombing, the explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 which killed 259 people onboard the aircraft and 11 people on the ground, so here is coverage from the BBC
First newsflash
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

I've wondered previously why the One O'Clock News studio would be used for the Nicholas Witchell updates, rather than the newsroom that's used otherwise?
[-] The following 2 users Like Otis Crump's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Spencer

(22-12-2023, 02:29 PM)Otis Crump Wrote:  I've wondered previously why the One O'Clock News studio would be used for the Nicholas Witchell updates, rather than the newsroom that's used otherwise?

My recollection (not cast-iron) was it was the opposite side of the Breakfast News studio, so presumably, if they were coming in to start the night shift and felt the need to have different "streams" for One and Two (with programmes starting and ending at different times), then it would've made sense to fire up the morning studio early in order to achieve that.

Just an educated guess.
[-] The following 2 users Like Skygeek's post:
  • Otis Crump, Roger Darthwell