BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

(08-10-2022, 01:09 PM)DTV Wrote:  I know that the two of them both presented News 24 during the flags era (I think covering Krishnan's slot after he left for C4), but he must surely have done some lower-ranking nationals stuff before they appointed him as a regular part of the nationals team?

I'm sure I remember reading at the old, old place that Huw did fill-in stints on Newsnight before eventually joining the national bulletins. This would have been around 1997.

EDIT:
Steve Williams on TV Forum Wrote:There was a period in the summer of 1997 when Huw Edwards and Gavin Esler between them presented Newsnight for about six weeks, with all the regular presenters absent, which I remember reading was to give them more experience in presenting as they were going to be doing a lot of it on News 24 when that launched.

I wouldn't say their presence in 1997 was so unusual, Jon Sopel and, when we see the Six, Diana Madill were about the same level at that point.

tvforum.uk 

As for Krishnan - so the story goes, he had his C4 contract biked to him at TVC and he signed it whilst on air!

(08-10-2022, 01:09 PM)DTV Wrote:  Did George ever present from the blue 'virtual' set? ... but he must surely have done some lower-ranking nationals stuff before they appointed him as a regular part of the nationals team?
(edited to quote just the relevant part to my response)
He did weekends - or at least the old Saturday early evening BBC2 bulletin - as per Genome, although the listings I found were after the 1999 revamp
genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

Thanks. I did recall seeing Huw having presented Newsnight in 1997, but always wondered if that was try outs for replacing Peter Snow, as well as further experience for News 24. Huw had already been presenting national bulletins semi-regularly since 1994, so must have already been a known quantity.

George Alagiah is the more interesting case. He is not listed on Genome as having presented any national bulletins - though this does, of course, not list the One O'Clock News and certain weekend bulletins - before the May 1999 relaunch. Yet, after the relaunch, he was the deputy presenter on the One, the main relief presenter on the Nine and a regular presenter of the late weekend bulletins. It just seems like quite the promotion for somebody who had never presented a national bulletin, especially as Edwards and Bruce had severals years of occasionally presenting Breakfast, the One and the Six. I presume he must have at least done a few editions of the One or the early weekend shift?

It's been 35 years since the Great Storm of 1987, here is the recording of that day's Nine O'Clock News www.youtube.com 

If you’re a Newsjunkie like me, you’ll love this! The Venetian Blinds and even Sixty Minutes!! 

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • Kojak, Rolling News

The 80s had it all.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Gavin Scott's post:
  • bai4943, JamesWorldNews, Kojak, Roger Darthwell, Steve in Pudsey, TVFan

I'm amazed that that was on VT rather than a cart and a slide!

(22-10-2022, 09:48 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I'm amazed that that was on VT rather than a cart and a slide!

It wasn't, I put it on a VT so I could load the package into VMIX for fun. I'll upload the others.
[-] The following 3 users Like Gavin Scott's post:
  • Newsroom, Roger Darthwell, Steve in Pudsey

If I could get my hands on a Quantel I'd redo those titles.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Gavin Scott's post:
  • JamesWorldNews, JMT1985, Roger Darthwell

www.youtube.com 

Filmed on 35mm, frame by frame using a motion control camera and lit by lighting cameraman Peter Povey, the One's titles were cut together on one inch tape. The in-house graphics colour palette was predominantly white and very light blue, with soft shadows cleverly generated on the Quantel Paintbox, using a 40 stage sequence. The title sequence and in-house graphics were all designed by Andy Davy, assisted by Marcus Picken. I was convinced this was computer graphics for years.

[Image: One%20O%27Clock%20News%20title%20shoot%2...k=jA2iTdg6]

[Image: One%20O%27Clock%20News%20title%20shoot%2...k=wOHL5A7W]

[Image: One%20O%27Clock%20News%20title%20shoot%2...k=dSiHst86]

[Image: One%20O%27Clock%20News%20title%20shoot%2...k=1y8DWNza]
[-] The following 8 users Like Gavin Scott's post:
  • bai4943, JamesWorldNews, JamieD, JMT1985, Kojak, Roger Darthwell, The Decimator, watchingtv